Author Topic: Molasses & Soy  (Read 3318 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Molasses & Soy
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »
6 lbs Venison roast Sliced thin
1 cup Molasses
1 1/2 cups Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Pink Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Granulated or powdered Garlic
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder

Thoroughly combine soy, molasses, and spices. Add meat slices insuring to coat all sides. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. This batch went 48. spread slices on smoker racks and blot any excess marinade. Load fire box with 4 to six oz chips and crank heat to 250 while you load the racks into the smoker.
Run the jerky drier from the start of the smoke. When smoke starts, lower heat to 100 and close the door. this batch went ten hours for the bigger pieces, start checking after six hours.

* If you do not care for black pepper you may want to cut back on it. The jerky has a salty sweet primary flavor with a peppery finish.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Molasses & Soy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:07:29 AM »
That's some fine-looking jerky, Brian!  Just curious - you don't have a problem with the wood combusting running the fan the whole time?  I've had that problem in the past.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:30:25 AM »
Not that I noticed, I threw my temp probe in just out of curiosity on this batch. The highest temp I observed was 156. The smoke was very light to moderate thorough the day. About 2/3 of the chips were soaked for twenty minutes. All the chips were fully consumed by the end of the day.
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »
Brian,

I have two venison roasts left in the freezer & think I will make jerky from them.  Is this your preferred method or have you made any modifications?
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »
This was pretty good jerky. I had to divide it in equal amounts and tell each son they were responsible for hiding their own. Otherwise they would have gobbled it up leaving me none. I found this recipe online it was pretty tasty but overpowering, you could tell you were eating deer. With beef I like teriyaki and garlic, you could mix or substitute the teriyaki with soy.

I prefer the low temp for making jerky, it has a different texture than cooking/drying at the higher temps.
- Sigmund Freud