Author Topic: Brined Pork Loin with Jeff's Rub  (Read 4887 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Brined Pork Loin with Jeff's Rub
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Smoking 9.5 lbs of pork loin today!  I brined it overnight, using my loin brine:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1235.0

At 12 hours, I rinsed the loins and left them in the fridge until prep time.  Mustard and Jeff Phillips' rub, and in the smoker with 2.9 oz of hickory.  I'll let them go to 155 (edit 3/4/16...I now smoke loins to 145), then give them a quick sear on the Weber gasser.

Here's where I have to tell on myself!  I got the Auber programmed, and setup, put the meat in the smoker and hit the switch.  I noticed the little green light on the Auber, so I walked away.  Box temp started at 81, meat temp 38.  About 15 minutes later, I thought I'd check on it.  No smoke.  Hmmm....that's odd!  Checked the Auber:  Box temp 73, meat temp 44!  What the???  That's when I came to the definite conclusion that the smoker performs better when plugged in! :-[   In my haste, I plugged everything in except the smoker!  Felt really, really dumb!  Fortunately, a quick switch "off" (to reset the program), a plug in, and back "on," and I'm back on track!  Thank goodness I didn't leave to go shopping or something!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:43:27 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Brined Pork Loin with Jeff's Rub
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
Tony, you got a little excited there, but don't worry, it's understandable.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
Hehe.  No worries!  Everyone has their moments!  ;)

The loins made some great pork sammies!  A little trip on the grill for a sear, thin-sliced, and on the bun with a little St Louis sauce....mmm, mmm!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bigbassnutt

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »
Hey Tony, I was getting all the steps down pretty well so wasn't double checking everything like when I first started using it and I almost forgot to put the wood chips in, lol.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
Yeah, it happens, Mike!  One time I forgot to poke a hole in the foil on the bottom!  Boy, was that a mess trying to do it after the smoker got hot!  Never made that mistake again!
Tony from NW Arkansas