Author Topic: Are you making sausage, do you want to make sausage?  (Read 13339 times)

TheSneakyZebra

Re: Are you making sausage, do you want to make sausage?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
I like Ruhlman but his Charcuterie book is actually pretty off on a lot of things so be careful, most of the sausage recipes are good, many lack in flavor but this is a good place for a beginner to start. Anyone serious about smoking and sausage really needs to pick up Marianski's book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, this is hands down one of the best books out there.

I have found that the SI do not allow for optimal airflow when smoking sausages, I have not used the jerky drier, and have yet to buy one since I have put a lot of money in my #3, but I would suspect that this would give a much more optimal airflow for properly smoking sausages.

I have done a few hotlink recipes and they have struggled in the SI but are successful by other modes of smoking, maybe I should just get the dryer, or make my own.

Speaking of making your own, I have found there is no need to purchase the sausage rack/bar as you can easily pick up something at the hardware store that works just as good for half the price. I have been using untreated wood/dowels for smoking for about a year now, pretty cheap. I would like to see more smoked sausage on here, including from me :) I just need to work out the airflow issue.

Cheers!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
I agree with the moisture issues, I haven't run a batch of sausage in my SI yet but will be using the Jerky fan when I do. That little thing moves a lot of air.

I considered but haven't purchased any dowels, what size did you go with? I have used 1 inch stainless S-Hooks off the top rack in a Bradley with good results.

While I love the Charcuterie book and have made a lot of the things in it, I have not used his sausage recipes. I do want to try his Jagerwurst, a dried hunters sausage. Would you consider posting your hot link recipes?

I will check out the book you mentioned, thanks.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
Brian,
I forget the sized dowels off the top of my head, sorry. Ruhlman has some great stuff, but there is a world beyond him :) and it is a beautiful world. You will not be disappointed in Marianksi!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Muttley

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
I generally make my own, brats, hot Italian, breakfast, andouille, and if I'm feeling a little crazy chorizo.  All venison based.  I might try some harder sausages soon, fall is here and my wife tells me there's too much venison in the freezer from last year.

I have a manual meat grinder/stuffer and an attachment for a KitchenAid.   I'd really like a 5lb stuffer as the dual purpose appliances don't really stuff all that well---it's a lot of work.   

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 04:58:37 PM »
I have a 15lb stuffer and can tell you that it is night and difference over using the grinder. Goes so fast.

This is the 15lb stuffer that I have for $229.99:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200425065_200425065

But they have a 5lb stuffer for $99.98 too:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319

These stuffers from Northern Tool are just as high of quality as the LEMs and are cheaper. I have had mine for about 5 years now and still works as well as it did when it was new.

If you can afford the 15lb one, I would go for it. This upgrades you to steel gears instead of plastic which is a big upgrade especially if you make snack stix, because it puts a lot of pressure on those gears to push the meat through the small 21-22ml tube for the snack stick casings.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »
If you guys are making standard sausages, the link below has a ton of recipes. They look pretty legit and less expensive.Then no MSG.... I will spend my money on things like accessories and meat! :D

Link: http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »
Looks like a great site, bookmarked it!
- Sigmund Freud

Muttley

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
I never even considered the metal gears towards the pressure needed for smaller casings.  That is an excellent point and definitely needs to be in the decision making process.

I'd make a lot more sausage if my stuffing process was more efficient. 

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
I would not consider plastic gears. There is a lot of pressure involved. I screw my stuffer down to an old butcher block then c-clamp it to the work surface. I went with the 5lb LEM on sale at Bass Pro, because it fits in the dish washer. However a  larger unit is considered every time I do a batch larger than 25 pounds.
- Sigmund Freud

foodeefish

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Pork Belly,

I have started to dabble in making my own sausage and I just bought a Model #3 and the Jerky Dryer this week.

What are you using to hang the sausage?

What books or literature is best to use as a guide to make sausage?

How long are you leaving those sausages in the smoker and how do you get them to have such a great burgundy red color?

Do you smoke all your sausages and if so will you behaving the Jerky Dryer on for the whole smoke?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
I hang with stainless steel S-hooks I bought for .15 each, cheap but durable.

I own three books, Charcuterie, Salumi and In The Charcuterie. There are other books that focus more on sausage but these are pretty good. Someone posted this website a few days ago and it looks good:
http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

I smoke at 200, cold meat, in a hot smoker and pull at 150 IT and plunge it in an ice=water bath. The color is partially from the smoke and some from the cure. Snack sticks have a mahogany color casing and that adds to it also.

This will be my first year making sausage in my SI so I will let you know when I figure it out about the Jerky dryer.
- Sigmund Freud