Author Topic: Brined ribs?  (Read 4151 times)

travis

Brined ribs?
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
I was talking to a guy who I know is really into smoking and sausage making and he was telling me not to bother with the 3 2 1 rib method.  The method he uses is to brine the ribs for 24 hrs then onto the smoker they go.  He says let them go for 5 hrs and check.  I am going to try it out on my SI3 on sunday.  Just wondering if anybody has tried doing ribs this way.

Walt

Re: Brined ribs?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:38:24 AM »
That's pretty much how many of us do it.  Some brine some don't but most have let go of the 321 when useing one of these.  I usually do a light sauce @ 5 hours @ 225 then let it go another 30 to 45 min.  We like the meat fallen off the bone. Also use a pan with juice.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
Hi Travis,

If you spend much time here, you probably know I'm a pretty big briner.  I always brine large cuts (like Boston butts and loins), but seldom brine ribs.  I occasionally do, but actually prefer baby backs unbrined.  I use the "no peeky" method with a juice pan, and the ribs are always great.  I'd suggest trying it both ways, and see which you prefer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
Hey Tony. I'm curious why you don't brine your ribs? Or are you keeping it a secret so you don't scew Travis's test of the two methods?

I'm just wondering what the pros/cons are of brining ribs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
No secrets here, Gregg! ;)   I guess it's that there's just not enough meat on ribs to make it worth the extra effort.  In all actuality, I guess I actually "dry brine" them.  Since I apply rub, them wrap/rest in the fridge overnight, it becomes a dry brine.  Since there's salt in the rub, it accomplishes the same reaction with the protein molecules in the meat.  Ribs just don't require a long liquid brine due to the small amount of meat, in my opinion.

Using the rub/rest overnight method, my ribs are always very moist, so I don't like to mess with a technique that works well for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks Tony.

I have been doing the same dry brining process and have had excellent results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »
If I am going to cook a large cut (like butt) & ribs, I brine both the cuts together then let her sit in the binder / rub for a couple days.  If only ribs, I usually do a 72 hr rest in a binder / rub with a spritz of apple cider vinegar.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
If I am going to cook a large cut (like butt) & ribs, I brine both the cuts together then let her sit in the binder / rub for a couple days.  If only ribs, I usually do a 72 hr rest in a binder / rub with a spritz of apple cider vinegar.

...Says the guy dry-aging steaks for 35 days. lol. ;D   Walt has a LOT more patience than the rest of us here.  Waiting 3 days for ribs would make me insane.  The moisture is great just with an overnight rub/rest, so I can't see the extra 2 days (my opinion, only).  I think the rub penetrates the small amount of meat in ribs within about 12 hours, so I'm not sure the extra days would really add more.  And, if you vacuum-pack the ribs while they are resting, the dry brine penetrates the meat faster, so you get an acceleration effect.  I usually FoodSaver mine, but see the same end results just wrapping in plastic.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »
I'm retired & have plenty of time & enjoy the ritual.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
wow.  I have three teens in the house.  My wife tells me at noon that I'm cookin ribs so I head to the store, buy, prep, and am cooking by 1PM.

I can't see more than 24hrs out.

its the reason I bought an electric cooker.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 08:47:11 AM »
I'm retired & have plenty of time & enjoy the ritual.

;D If it works for you, stick with it!  I may take longer when I retire, too! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas