Author Topic: Where do you store your wood?  (Read 8469 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Where do you store your wood?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
The issue that I struggle with regarding this delayed burn concept on an electric is that your power or heat source isn't constant.  In my mind, if you delay the soaked wood anywhere near to when the box temp is reached, the element is then in maintain mode and not really kicking out enough power to create combustion. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:58 PM »
That's a great observation, Dave.  Maybe Brian (Pork Belly) has some thoughts on this, since he pretty much invented the "time release" smoke method.  I bet it works because the moist chips are heated, during the initial heat up, but not to the point of combustion, and it doesn't take much when they finally dry enough to start smoldering.  Just my 2ยข...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 05:10:29 PM »
I try not to think that had, I am a set it and forget it smoker. The only time I have used varied smoking on chips was for low temp jerky smokes and it seem to work fine. I haven't gotten good results getting smoke from a block unless set around 130 and up. That last cold smoke I did I was set below 100 on the dial, likley around 85-90, I had good results with long split pieces about the same size as standard pencils.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud