Author Topic: First pulled Chicken Cook  (Read 3918 times)

Jaydog

First pulled Chicken Cook
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Made my first pulled chicken this weekend. I was a bit curious as to the easiest way to actually shred or pull the chicken. After a quick google search, I found one guy saying he uses a mixer to do. I never heard of this method, but I sure am glad I found it, it worked wonderfully.

I didn't do anything special to the chicken. I used 12 thighs, applied a light coat of Famous Dave's rub and tossed them in the ole #2 with a rack of loin back ribs. Made for some good eatin!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First pulled Chicken Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »
Great job, Jay!  That looks like a helluva good meal to me! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »
You'll have to expand on the "mixer" shredding technique, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Jaydog

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
For using a mixer(electric mixer), pull the chicken off of the bone and toss them in a large bowl. Do this right after it gets done resting. Then start the mixer on low at first so you don't sling a piece out and across the room. As you get a feel for it, increase the mixer speed and mix it like you would anything else. It will be a little rough at first, but as the large chunks start breaking down, it will calm down.

The site I saw it on was using one of those nice $300 mixers with a bowl built in to it. I just have a $30 special from walmart. It worked fine.
I got the idea from http://gabrielsgoodtidings.blogspot.com/2012/04/easiest-way-to-shred-chicken.html He was using a crockpot to cook the chicken, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Jaydog

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention, when I got it going, I used my free hand to hold the bowl still, but positioning my hand on top of the bowl to keep from making a mess. Then just mix to the desired texture or "shred size"

Next time I will use a slightly larger bowl. But this is the way to go for sure as far as I'm concerned.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
I smoked 16 chicken thighs yesterday for pulled chicken.  I took the meat off of the bone and tried the mixer method...perfect!   I may even give this a shot on pulled pork in the future...thanks for the tip!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Nice, Steve!  That looks great!
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »
I hope so...the neighborhood crew is coming now...and they be da judge!

(My samples were spot on, though)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Jaydog

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you. I was surprised at how well it works. And yeah, I want to give it a shot with pork too.