Author Topic: 2nd jerky  (Read 5250 times)

GeeBee

2nd jerky
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:18 AM »
Well, the first batch of jerky "evaporated", the DW said she really liked it and some more would be appreciated, so.... Did another batch yesterday. I believe I have a method down that I'm going to stick with (doing it dry). I sliced this batch a little thinner than last time, same wood, time and seasoning. I'm happy to report that I put the James jerky dryer in place at the beginning, programmed the Auber so the dryer would turn on after 2 hours, stood back and watched. Everything worked perfectly and this batch of jerky turned out awesome. I now have a formula for "hands off" jerky!
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2nd jerky
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
Great idea on the automated dryer turn-on, Gary!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
This is all the more reason for me to buy an Auber.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

GeeBee

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
Yes, I would highly recommend the Auber. With the little cord adapter I posted about earlier, you can plug your jerky dryer into the back of the Auber, set R1 to kick on at whatever step you want it to and forget about it!
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
GeeBee, sounds like a great idea. I would like to try this set-up.  I'm really new with using the Auber, can you explain how you set the Auber to turn on the dryer.

CO 1.  145. EO1. t01 2.0.....this is where I need help...now what???...

Thanks

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
What temp were you smoking at?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »
GeeBee, sounds like a great idea. I would like to try this set-up.  I'm really new with using the Auber, can you explain how you set the Auber to turn on the dryer.

CO 1.  145. EO1. t01 2.0.....this is where I need help...now what???...

Mike, you don't "program" it to come on in the C1-C6 steps.  Instead, you go into the settings and tell it when to turn on the "smoke generator" plug (on the back).

Press and hold SET until Lck appears in the left window.
Press + until 166 appears in the right, then press SET again.
Press SET until "R2" appears in the left window, then use + to change the value from 0 to 1.
Continue pressing SET until you are out of the program.

You have just set the Auber to make that plug hot during step C02.  So, set C01 like you did, then set C02 the same (except increase the time to 4.0).  That will give you 2 hours of just smoke, then 4 hours of fan.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

GeeBee

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
Mike
Tony has given you the correct answer and to just clarify a bit more......you have to program 2 steps into your Auber. Set the first step for your temp (I use 145) and set the time for 2 hours. Set the second step for the same temp as first step (145), and set your time for the remainder of your smoke, I usually use 5 hours for a total smoking time of 7 hours. Then do what Tony says (code 166, etc.) you can set R1 or R2, I use R1 and set R2 to 0. Set R1 or R2 to whatever step you want the fan to turn on. In my example, you want the fan to turn on at step 2, so you would set R1 to 2. Then plug the Jerky Dryer into the back of the Auber (it takes a special plug) and turn the Auber on. Start checking your jerky whenever you suspect it may be done. Let me know if you have more questions.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
Guys, thanks for the explanation..using you guys times and temp. Jerky is in the smoker two hours of smoke at *145 and now with the dryer for around 5 hours same temp.

As always appreciate your time and assistance

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on that, Gary!  You are absolutely right about setting R1 to "2!"  I actually misunderstood that setting, until your post, but now do!  Thanks! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas