Author Topic: Walts brined & injected brisket  (Read 15904 times)

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Re: Walts brined & injected brisket
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 10:55:39 PM »
Looks really good Walt...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
Thanks Walt. I will let you know how it goes!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
Walt, Joe I get but UWFSAE??? United Workers For Safe Aircraft Engines???  :D I did a search for Mojo and can't find it. Could you send a link?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
Walt, Joe I get but UWFSAE??? United Workers For Safe Aircraft Engines???  :D I did a search for Mojo and can't find it. Could you send a link?

Bob, check out the members list for UWFSAE (Joe from Houston).  He hasn't been around in awhile, but was an early member who contributed some of the finest on the forum!  We miss him around here.  Check out his posts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »
Tony is right.  Search the posts of the member UWFSAE.  I copied his mojo recipe in this post originally.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Brisket Bob

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
Walt, thank you for sharing your process.  I am going to give it a try here soon.  I noticed that you used cane syrup as part of the binder.  I don't own any, but I am sure I can get some at the store.  Could you speak to why you use that as part of the binder?  Would real maple syrup work as a substitute?  Thanks again!
Bob - Chicago

Walt

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »
It adds some sweetness to go with the heat I like in my rubs.  I find, combined with the mustard & rub, it makes a great bark.  Its not necessary & I think the molasses or cane syrup would also work well.  Let us know how it all turns out.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
Bob there is nothing like cane syrup, we love the stuff and stock up when we visit my wife's family. Maple syrup is tasty, I use a bunch when I make bacon but its flavor profile and viscosity are different. You could water down a little dark Karo syrup until it is about 5W30 consistency and it would be close. Close but still a Yankee substitution for southern Goodness.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:23:04 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Thanks Walt! I plan on trying out your recipe in about 2 weeks..... I have bacon to finish first! So much to do so little time....
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »
So much to do so little time....

Ain't THAT the truth!  Story of my life, for sure! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 04:45:08 PM »
Did another this morning but didnt use the mojo injection this time. I cant exactly recall what I used to inject. Brined & injected a month ago & placed in freezer. Thawed a couple of days in the fridge. 9lb flat put on @ 0230 @ 225.  Reached 195 @ 1200 then shifted to the 140 holding pattern. It raised to 203 before dropping & I did not open the door to bleed off any heat. Removed & foiled @ 1330 & placed in small cooler double wrapped in foil. To be served @ 1630.  Snuck a picture & a bite a couple minutes ago.  As good as a brisket can possibly be.  Converted Divot to this method, those who havn't tried it really should. I think he  would agree.  As you can tell, it also reduces the cook time.  The flats I cook range between 6 & 9lbs & always between 8 & 9.5 hours. Or an hour  to 1.5 hours per lb. The brineing & injecting definately reduces the time needed & makes it extremely consistant. The fat is like butter. I think next time I will try with a full brisket.

Todays meal is sliced brisket accompanied by smoked gouda & cheddar mac with a panko crust, artichokes, baked beans & strawberry shortcake. Last three items provided by guests.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:50:12 PM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Barrel99

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 04:52:31 PM »
Sure looks moist for a flat. Nice job Walt!
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
Man that looks juicy Walt. Nice job!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »
Looks awesome, Walt!  Yep, I appreciate the push into brining brisket - nothing like it!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »
I still do these quite regularily. Monday I purchased a 17.55lb packer brisket and placed it in an equillibrium brine and reinforced the brine with black pepper, granulated garlic & onion. Today, Friday, I removed it from the brine/marinade, injected it with the brine/marinade, lightly rinsed & patted dry, then applied salt, pepper, granulated garlic & onion. Folded the skinny end to fit the shelf and stuffed it in the middle of the #2. I'm not a big beliver in trimming much, just the very hard fat. It was about 0.5lb, so 17lbs is what was squeezed in. I do score the fat prior to applying rub. 4oz oak whisky barrel & 3oz pecan with a small amount of pecan chips to get the party started @ 225. A water pan next to smoke box and a small pan under the brisket to catch some juices. Put it in @ noon today for dinner tomorrow. Since its brined 1.25-1.5 hrs/lb is very consistent for brisket in my#2.

This technique works wonderfully every time even on flats. The flavor profile changes regularily for me but the process is the key. I'll post the money shot tomorrow.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill