Author Topic: #4 for commercial use  (Read 4394 times)

ltzoe

#4 for commercial use
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
I'm thinking of using this unit for the restaurant. Is any body currently doing this and does the no NSF certificate cause any problems? Looks like a great unit but is it built like the more expensive competitor I.E. cookshack, smokin tex? I would love to here from people who have had both and what they think.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: #4 for commercial use
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
Welcome!

It is my understanding that the NSF is a voluntary program that charges a fee for testing and certification and that it is not a government program. I truly do not know if it has become a requirement, either nationally or locally. You may want to put out some feelers in your community, possibly starting with the health department which conducts inspects inspections.

On the build quality, having been able to compare a CS 066 and the SI3, I would say they are both equally robust. Eyeballing only, the stainless steel used appears equal in thickness; a micrometer would be needed to measure actual thickness/gauge. 

I hope this helps.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
Welcome to our party, itzoe!  I believe the #4 was designed for light commercial use, and I would recommend emailing Steve (smokin.it.info@gmail.com) about the NSF question.

Since the #4 is including the Auber PID controller, it will exceed the accuracy of any of the competitors you mentioned.  The Auber will hold the temp within 1-2 degrees, consistently.  If I were to rely on a smoker for a very consistent "formula" result, I would hands-down pick the #4.  Best bang for the buck out there, built like a tank, and is a formidable beast with the Auber as the controller!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ltzoe

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Thanx guys. I have spoken with steve and he says they're about 4 weeks out on getting the NSF cert.Different cities regulate differently. Durability is my real concern seince i will be using daily. Some Cookshack folks I've spoken to have used theres for 4-6 years with no real problems. The #4 is a relatively new product but if it's made like the others then it sounds great and the price is AWSOME. What about getting replacement parts. I would want to use it for years.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
The replacement parts are available through SI, and they're very affordable ($33.99 for the big element).  I don't see controllers or smoke boxes yet, but I'm sure they're coming (just like the 1. 2 and 3).  It's just really new, so no one should need replacement parts yet!  Same build quality as all the others.  It's a solid unit.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »
Hi Itzoe,

The #4 is the best bang for the buck considering the price, size and build quality of these units.  It is comparable to the Cookshack commercial units, but a much better deal.  Steve even give you a 3 years warrantee, CS does not.  The replacement parts are much cheaper to buy, easy to replace, although I haven't had to yet (I purchased my #3 about a year ago).

The CS are also great units and have built a reputation for themselves, but you are paying for the name, parts are much more expensive and at the end of the day, the SI will give you the same results as the CS. Steve stands by his products, parts will not be an issue and your return on this unit will pay itself off in no time compared to the CS.  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a #4 with money saved in the bank.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:14:42 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It