Author Topic: Overnight lows projected at -15F But I am smoking anyway!  (Read 17418 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Overnight lows projected at -15F But I am smoking anyway!
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
I am going to be smoking a 7.15lb brined Boston Butt tonight even though the temps are going to be very cold.

I am going to put the Butt in the smoker at 10:00PM and the projected temp at that time is supposed to be -8.

Overnight low is projected at -15.

So, I'm going to really test the unit's cold weather capability tonight!

More updates as I go.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Overnight lows projected at -15F But I am smoking anyway!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
About the only suggestion I can make is to get a insulated water heater jacket, trim it to size so that air flow is not restricted at the top or bottom and attach it with velcro or bungee cords.  I have seen this recommended on other sites and apparently it helps.  In fact, one company sells a jacket expressly for this purpose for their own line of smokers.  But it would be way too small for your application.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »
If you can buffer the smoker from any wind, that might help as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
Man, that'll be a real test!!  Brrr! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Luckily I don't think it is supposed to be too windy tonight and the deck that my smoker is on faces south and is up against the wall. It is just going to be darn cold and even colder tomorrow night.

If we are talking about the same smoker, I know of the cover that you are talking about Dave. I have one of those smokers, but made my own cover out of the same Reflectix material that their cover was made out of and was able to buy an entire roll of Reflectix for the price of what they wanted just for their cover.

My first smoke was done with temps in the 0-10F range and I had no troubles at all getting to temp. So, I am going to gamble and just run it like I did before and hope for similar results. I was amazed at how long it took after the element turned off to sink back down to the point where the element kicked on again. So, kudos to the insulation on the SI units.

If I have any problems, I think I will buy another roll of Reflectix and make a cover for the next cold weather smoke.

I have guys coming over for poker night to tomorrow and we usually play for quite a while. So if it isn't done by supper time, I won't be too worried.

The one thing I think I am going to change though is to start smoking at 8:00 instead of 10:00 as I originally had planned.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
Here is something to add a little humor in regards to the cold weather:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153866615900578
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
Good plan, Gregg...a little more time in extreme temps can't hurt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
I need to get some reflectix material to make an insulate cover.

Tony, maybe an opportunity to have insulating covers for the SI products.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
I've never heard of reflectix (probably seen it, but didn't know what it was called), but I'm looking it up for sure!  I'll definitely run the idea by the SI crew - great idea, Ed!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
It is basically a bubble wrap type material with reflective coating.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-4-ft-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/100052556
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »
Ah!  Thanks for the link, Gregg.  Yes, I've seen it many times.  Lots of time in HD, Lowe's and other lumber yards when I was a builder.  What kind of tape would you use to fasten the panels?  I would think a little Gorilla tape might do the trick!  Bet I could redneck engineer one! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
I used gorilla glue to glue Velcro on the pieces. Then I could wrap tight and hookup with the Velcro.

I only did a wrap around the sides and left to top open. But if you really wanted to insulate it well you could do the top too.

It really made a difference with my Big Chief. Without it the Big Chief would only be considered a meat warmer at best.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Wik

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »
I think the smoker will do fine.  I've done several smokes that were as cold as -20F with the #3.  Seemed to maintain just fine.  Granted I was using the Auber, but it shouldn't matter.  The thing seems so well insulated it seemed to keep temp as needed.  Still I'm curious if you get the same results...
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »
Hehe...I was waiting for Wik to chime in!  I've seen pictures of him on at least ONE really cold smoking day!  lol.  He definitely knows how they perform in the cold.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
Well, I witnessed my first belch tonight.

I got the butt in around 9:00 or so and went outside around 9:20 or so to smell the smoke (cold or not I love the smell).

It was smoking pretty hard and then I heard a woooosh and smoke poured through the vent. Kind of freaked me out a bit. ;) I didn't notice any from the door. I went inside and the temp had jumped from 195 or so up to 255. Then it rapidly went back down to 210 or so. Now I am back on my way up again. Currently at 235.
Gregg - Fargo, ND