Author Topic: "Top Secret" Leaked!! New "Prototype" Electronic Smokin-It Model 2!  (Read 37465 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: "Top Secret" Leaked!! New "Prototype" Electronic Smokin-It Model 2!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »
Do you think the #1 would have faired better? From reading the other threads regarding smokers not coming to max temperature, I question whether it would have faired any better although you know your particular #1's capabilities and maybe it would have been fine.

Absolutely.  You can read back through my cooks posted on here, and every one (with the exception of the last 2) have all been with my #1.  I've smoked down to 9-degrees without a hitch.  I've documented the consistent temps in my #1 (+/- 10 degrees), and have never had an issue.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
Do you think the #1 would have faired better? From reading the other threads regarding smokers not coming to max temperature, I question whether it would have faired any better although you know your particular #1's capabilities and maybe it would have been fine.

Absolutely.  You can read back through my cooks posted on here, and every one (with the exception of the last 2) have all been with my #1.  I've smoked down to 9-degrees without a hitch.  I've documented the consistent temps in my #1 (+/- 10 degrees), and have never had an issue.

I believe you. But, your experience differs from others. So, it seems like it is a crapshoot whether you get one that will be able to get to temps or not. That being said, my guess is that there are probably more that don't have any problems than do. I wonder whether this is more prevalent in the #3 units with the larger cooking space? It would make sense that the temps are easier to reach and maintain in a smaller unit even though it has a corresponding smaller element.

I hope I am not coming off negative and seen as bashing the Smoken-Its. Because that is definitely not my intention. Like I have said previously, I am pretty much sold on getting a #3. Just waiting to see if it is worth it to wait for the digital controller or not.

I'm rambling.  I guess I just need to be patient and wait for more results and then determine what to do.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
I have a #2 & have operated it as low as 18 deg f with absolutely no problems.  I think, on occasion from the factory, the dial needs to be calibrated.  Its a simple fix documented on the "Mods" section.  However, it appears that is a very small percentage of units.  I dont use a PID & so far haven't found it necessary.  The largest benefit for the PID (to me) would be the programable steps so you could put the butt in @ 225 & tell it to reduce to 140 upon an IT of 200.   You come home, no matter when the butt is finished, to a perfectly cooked & toasty warm dinner.  I dont think the prototype will have this feature.  I think I may be convincing myself to buy a PID.  ;D ;D
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »
ND - If you spend enough time going through old posts here, I believe you will see many, many more positive comments than negative.  Is it a "fluke" that my #1 is really pretty accurate?  I don't know.  I've theorized, in posts, that the internal volume of each model may have an impact on the temp swings; just not sure, though.  I do know that there's a pretty vast, and growing, group of satisfied owners.  I think some, who have not been satisfied, were maybe expecting PID-type accuracy out of an analog controller.  Every electric smoker out there has temp swings.  The hope is that the swings will be consistent enough to "average out" over a cook, and give consistent results.  If you want +/- 1-2 degree accuracy, the PID is the way to go.  The bottom line with BBQ is that it's really not an exact science, and doesn't demand the accuracy some think it does.  But, again, even the inaccuracies need to be consistent.

Walt - thanks for the comments about your satisfaction with your "stock" #2!  You're not alone!  And, no, the current prototype doesn't have a "hold" feature, but no telling what's in the works for the rework!  Stay tuned!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rickne

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
Holy smokes! (Pun intended).  I disappear for a month and miss the big news.

This is a game changer for Steve.  And a long time coming, in my opinion.  This make this smoker competitive with anybody in the market and depending on his cost model, he could become a dominant player.  To do that, he will have to expand his distribution model.

1. The IT probe is a "nice to have"  but I wouldn't shy away from it if it didn't have it.  Personally, I would prefer it without the built in IT probe.  Sometimes simple is better and you have to realize that everybody in the market isn't looking for the bleeding edge technology options.  I'm just as happy using my Maverick.  In fact, I till use my maverick when cooking with the Auber PID so that I can have the remote in the house.

2. Display.  Somebody mentioned bright, colors, clarity, etc.  All are "nice to have" but more important than all of that is durability and resistance to weather.  Everything from AZ sun and UV rays to North Dakota brittle cold cracking plastic, to the occasional rain.  You have to remember, some of these do sit outside.  I don't keep mine out there but you know some do and some will.  You have to protect against the elements.

3. Retro fitting would be a great option.  I'd sell my auber and retro fit with this in a heart beat.

OF course, price is everything.  IMO, if Steve can do this with a $100 upgrade, it's a giant value.

Been colder than a bucket of penguin poop here and have my last hockey tournaments this weekend.  Hopefully I will be firing up the #3 in a few weeks. 

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
In case anybody missed the change I made to the first post in the thread, please check it out.  I wanted everyone to know that the new board is quite a way out, and production is even farther.  No timeline, as of yet, so folks don't need to factor-in whether to wait for the electronic version, or go with the current models.  Back to the drawing board, so to speak!  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »
Great points from Rick! Durability is huge and I think I would rather have an external probe that I can easily replace with a new and better probe when it goes bad.

Thanks for the update DivotMaker on the prototype status!

Do you have any idea whether this new controller will be able to be retrofitted to the analog smokers that many people already own?

If so, that makes the decision to buy now rather than wait much more appealing. Then you would have the option of going with the new controller or springing for the Auber.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
WRT probes, I would recommend using the K type instead of some proprietary probe.  I hear a lot of complaints about these proprietary probes with durability & expense.  K type are extremely durable, abundant & reasonably priced since they are industry standard for many scientific vocations & professional chefs.  They also come in a multitude of configurations.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »
That's a new term for me. What is a "K Type" probe?
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Walt

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »
As per wikipedia, it is the most common type of thermocouple for use from -330 to +2460 deg f. 

Many Thermoworks thermometers use these so their accuracy is outstanding & the durability is as good as anything out there. Because they are so common, the price is also very good.  Look @ the Thermoworks website for an example.  It seems this would be the obvious choice if designing a system requiring a thermocouple.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
OK, a few questions to deal with here...I'll do my best to work through them!

Walt - good tip on the probes.  I believe Rick was talking about meat probes, so I'm not sure if your tip is for SI or Rick.  But yes, a high-quality internal box temp probe will be part of the work on a new controller.  As of now, the controller probably won't have an internal meat probe - too many points of failure.  Most folks prefer their Mavericks, Tapacues, or other thermometers. 

Rick & Koze - retrofit will most likely be an option.  The controller hooks up with the same wiring as the analog controller, so retrofit should be easy.  As you can see from my pics, the controller housing just screws down to the top of the box.

Koze - Yes, buy the current version.  It will serve you well as-is, and later you'll have the option of the Auber, and eventually an electronic controller.  Use it, love it, now; upgrade later - if you choose.  Many owners are very happy with their standard analog controllers.  The analogs have the advantage of low cost of replacement, and very good cold-weather reliability.  I can personally attest to that.  Yes, there are temp swings, but they are consistent and predictable.

Rick - as for the display:  Work needs to be done on the "readability," not just making it flashy-looking.  The current LCD display is very hard to read.  You need good weather-proofing, but the display window needs to be more clear.  I'm sure the actual display inside is fine - you just can't read it unless you get close, and at the right angle.  I can set my Maverick on it, and read it through the kitchen window, if the remote's in another room.

Hope this helps!

Tony from NW Arkansas

mike.bryant

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
It's been a while since the last posting.  Is there any new information available?
Mike from Aurora, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
It's been a while since the last posting.  Is there any new information available?

Still a "work in progress," Mike.  Rest assured, Steve is working hard to get another controller, and progress is being made.  This time, we want to be sure it's accurate and reliable, so it's still going to be awhile before the next test model comes out.  I will definitely keep you all posted!
Tony from NW Arkansas

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:30 PM »
Is there anything new on this?
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
Tony, not sure but based on the pictures, I don't think you should be running the smoke in the house.  :o Nice looking enhancement!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN