Author Topic: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass  (Read 97433 times)

Three Sons BBQ

Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Should you have a separate controller (e.g. Auber PID controller, etc) and wish to bypass the internal control, the modification is simple.

See the attached photo - it's worth a thousand words. Basically open the back of the unit, remove one layer of insulation (very itchy insulation), remove the two female quick disconnects, insert male-male jumper of your liking, wrap with electrical tape, and put everything back together again.

CAUTION: only do this if you chose to do so. Suspect take care to always use with your Auber or you may well likely burn up your unit. Also take care with reassembly to ensure high temp wire remains at the bottom and that your new jumper is at the very top (ever feel the bottom of your SI unit, it's quite hot and that high temp insulation wire is there for a reason). Lastly I don't know if I'd operate my SI above 275 F for any extended period of time.

Steve
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
And here's the result...

275 F with ease.  No adverse effects.

Steve

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
Nice job, Steve.  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinTrojan

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
Steve,
I bypassed my #3 controller today. Did the same thing with a Siamese prong connector attaching the white/white-black wires. Then attached the Siamese to the outward-facing spade on the controller. No wire on the other spade now. I also swapped out the 9ft power cord on the smoker to the Auber and vise versa. All lights on, no fuses blown. Re-programmed initial Auber CO-1 to 250F for 3.7h, for Happy New Year initial seasoning.
Bob's making smoke in liberty lake, wa

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
Good idea on the power cord, Bob!  Let us know how it goes tomorrow!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
Few things...

Good idea on swapping power cords!

I was going to shorten the SI cord and just reterminate. Temporarily I have about 8' of cord tie wrapped on the cart.

After looking at a few photos I realize I have a few cords hanging near the back-bottom of the smoker. That area gets pretty warm. So I was then thinking to but a longer cord.

How hard was it to swap the power cords? Did you need to solder anything?

Lastly, I'm thinking its good I have three young sons, am home safe on New Years Eve watching them, and also able to learn a bit on this forum on one of two hobbies I have: barbecue and football ( go Duke ).

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
Hey Steve, you're not the only one home on New Year's Eve!  This is a great night to stay home and watch the celebrations on TV - and catch-up on the smokin' info!  lol.  Happy New Year!
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
Enjoying my time at home too.  2 of my kids went out...  one home with me and the wife.  Its movie night.

Been thinking of how to rearrange power cords.  Not sure if I'm bold enought to swap them.  I'm not that hany.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »
Swapping cords really isn't that hard but make sure to properly ground the SI so as to have a good path for faults if they should occur. Routing the power through the Auber then to the SI is fine, but make sure to add a ground to give that extra protection.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Wik

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Well you all made me do it... ;D  I decided to replace the cords with more winter friendly cords that don't get so stiff and while I had the panel open and was getting itchy anyway I also bypassed the analog thermostat.  And since I had everything out I also replaced the Auber PID cord with a longer more flexible one (this was a bit harder as soldering was involved and not something I do very often.)

Generally I'm not one to do mods on something I just bought for fear of breaking something especially the Auber PID, so use your own judgment if this is for you or not and willing to take the associated risks.  Figured I should add a disclaimer...  ;)

Here are some pics of my process...

Bypassing
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:15:26 PM by Wik »
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Wik

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
Smoker Cord Replacement
I'd suggest if you have Auber PID to ensure your cord end fits, mine almost didn't due to fuse on the back as seen in last pic.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:12:38 PM by Wik »
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Wik

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »
Auber Pid Cord Replacement
1st pic - my original cord was loose since zip tie that holds it slipped as you see
2nd pic - new cord all soldered in
3td pic - Don't for get to make sure ground is attached to screw when putting back together
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »
Nice job, guys!  Great pictures and info.  This should help anyone wanting to do the same!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »
Great.

So that answered my question!

Soldering required for the Auber.

I'm going to leave well enough alone for now... Once it gets a bit warmer in the spring to work in the garage I will also modify the Auber and the SI so the cords are perfect length.

Ps go Wisconsin.

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »
Looks great guys,  I ordered my Auber the day after Christmas so it should be showing up any day now.  I do like the idea of shortening the cord as well as adding a more winter friendly power cord that's more flexible.

I will be using this as a guide when I make the change.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill