Author Topic: Christmas Prime Rib  (Read 34864 times)

Tex-Jay

• True Blue Native Texan
Re: Christmas Prime Rib
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
one other question: do you put water or apple juice or no liquids in the smoker on this kind of beef?

Almost forgot here are pics of my Merry Christmas
South Texas Guy,  owner of Smoker #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
The little jewel went in the smoker at 11 am.  3 oz of hickory/cherry mix, 200 degrees.  At 1:30, it's at 81 IT.  The meat started at 36 degrees, so it's up 45 in 2 1/2 hours.  Another 47 degrees to go, so probably 2 more hours.  So Tex-Jay, you're probably looking at a good 5-6 hours on a 9 pound roast (mine's 7 1/2).

Nothing special for Au Jus - just McCormick's Au Jus mix (with a little beef stock instead of all water.  I don't like anything below the meat in the smoker, so no drippings to catch.

More to come! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »
Tex - I filled my water pan with water this time.  I always use a disposable aluminum "mini-loaf" pan on the bottom, next to the smoke box.  It adds moisture, and acts as a heat-sink for the smoker element.  I find it helps keep temps more stable.

Looks like a very Merry Christmas at your house!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
Christmas dinner, at last!! ;D

The prime rib turned out absolutely incredible!  The only thing I would have liked to do different would have been to dry-age it.  But, the quality of this cut of USDA Prime made it very tender. 

As you can see by the pictures, it had a pretty nice bark on it when it was finished smoking (I pulled and wrapped at 127).  Total time 4 1/2 hours.  Into the cooler, covered in towels for a rest!

Once the oven heated to 550, I threw it in for a quick sear (only about 4 minutes).  The pictures show the exterior more seared and moist than post-smoke.

I separated the ribs (we'll get to know each other later on;), and sliced the roast.  I hope the sliced pics speak for themselves!  Very juicy, good blend of smoke with the hickory and cherry.  Roasted some potatoes in the oven with onion soup mix and olive oil to go on the side.

All in all, a success!  Wish I could afford to smoke one of these about once a month!

Hope everyone else's dinners turned out well! Merry Christmas!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
Wow!  I'm speechless.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »
OH GOD that looks AMAZING! I could devour that PR right now even after having Christmas dinner.

That is going to be on my list for my birthday coming up. Looks to be well worth it!

great job Tony!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
Great job, Tony!   I am thinking of prime rib for new years, so your posting here could not be more timely!  Thanks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the compliments, guys!  Couldn't be easier in these smokers!
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 11:21:51 PM »
Sooooo want to do this now. Looks damn good.

So if I was to dry cure what would you recommend?
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
Ben, I've dry-aged, but never dry cured a prime rib, so I'm not sure what to do there.
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
Tony, please share your details around dry aging prime rib?  I've always been afraid to try it.  Also, is the process the same for any type of beef (steaks, tenderloins, etc)?
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
Tony, that looks amazing.  It's so cool what some of the members are able to come up,with using these smokers.  I am impressed.
I would also love to hear the dry aging process.

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
You can dry-age any large cut of beef when it's whole.  I wouldn't recommend trying to age cut steaks, as the shrinkage and trimming would ruin them.  Here's the process I have used:

Wash your prime rib and pat it dry.  Be sure to wear gloves to keep the bacteria from your hands off the meat.
Wrap the meat in a couple layers of cheesecloth, and place in the fridge on a rack inside a baking pan.  The idea is to keep all sides exposed to the air, and have a catch pan below.  Some recommend putting rock salt in the pan below, but I don't.

Make sure you put it in a fridge that will maintain a consistent 34-35 degrees, and have the door opened as little as possible.  Set a small thermometer next to the pan to monitor the temp.

Change the cheesecloth every day for the first 3 days.  After the second or third day, the cloth won't be bloody anymore.  A dark red "crust" will form on the meat, and you'll begin to see the fat cap begin to dry out as well.

Keep it in at least 8 -9 days.  Some people dry-age for 28 days, but I never could wait that long!  Inspect/change the cheesecloth every 3 days.

After 8 days, the meat will be pretty dry on the surface.  When it's time to prep for cooking, trim all the crust off with a sharp knife.  You'll expose a deep red meat that looks fantastic!

It will cook as usual, but will be rich in flavor, and fork tender! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »
sorry meant dry-age not dry cure
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »
No problem, Ben!  i'm doing a little research on some other dry-age methods, and have found some vacuum-seal bags from UMAi (drybagsteak.com) that look really interesting! They allow you to dry-age in a vacuum bag.  The bags allow moisture out, and air in (but not bacteria).  I'm going to check them out...more to come!
Tony from NW Arkansas