Author Topic: Baby backs in a newly-cleaned #1!  (Read 5450 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Baby backs in a newly-cleaned #1!
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »
Two racks of baby backs in the ol' #1 today!  4:40 in, and smelling great!  I rubbed these with Famous Dave's Rib Rub; nothing fancy, just looking forward to some good ribs!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

Re: Baby backs in a newly-cleaned #1!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
I just never get tired of this...another success story!  5 1/2 hours with hickory @ 225, water pan full of apple cider, no peeky until done.  Moist and tender, fall off the bone goodness!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
Oh man those look great Tony! Now I need to run some through my #2, your recipe sounded super easy and I am always down for some fall of the bone ribs.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
It's always an easy one, Ben.  Peel the silver skin off, slather with yellow mustard and rub, then 5 1/2 hours without peeking.  Surefire recipe for "lazy Q" ribs!
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
Sounds like my plans for next weekend have been made!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
 ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:05:16 AM »
Tony's method is fool proof.  5.5 hours and you have some awesome ribs.  Baby backs are my favorite. Famous Dave's rub is very good, it almost make me want to get rid of my homemade rub.  Try this method it works great.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
Thanks a lot, Ed!  I'm into easy, what can I say!  Just finished off the last half-rack of these tonight! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »
Do you guys use rib hooks? They came free and I'm not sure if it makes sense because seems there might be a temp gradient top to bottom.  Just me thinking. My initial run will be Sunday on two fresh baby backs ... Will use 225 and 5.5 hours without peaking.

Question: how many ounces are the wood chunks you get free of hickory? Are they two ounces each? How many ounces for two baby back ribs like this?

Any tips for the wood... Read somewhere a vague description about foiling the wood or something. Dunno. Will put apple juice and apple cider vinegar in the miss Lilly flavor savor and we shall see.

Thanks for any tips.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
Do you guys use rib hooks? They came free and I'm not sure if it makes sense because seems there might be a temp gradient top to bottom.  Just me thinking. My initial run will be Sunday on two fresh baby backs ... Will use 225 and 5.5 hours without peaking.

Question: how many ounces are the wood chunks you get free of hickory? Are they two ounces each? How many ounces for two baby back ribs like this?

Any tips for the wood... Read somewhere a vague description about foiling the wood or something. Dunno. Will put apple juice and apple cider vinegar in the miss Lilly flavor savor and we shall see.

Thanks for any tips.

Hi Steve!  Welcome to the club.  Do us a little post in the Introductions section when you have time!

The hickory dowels that come with your smoker are different sizes.  Until you get a scale for your wood, just use about a 2" dowel with your ribs.  I have a cheap oz/gram electronic scale I got from Harbor Freight Tools, and it works great!

Check out the "What Wood do you Use" section for a lot of good info on wood.  One piece of advise:  Get good wood.  Don't buy the lumber yard/WalMart stuff - it's usually way too dry.  Get your wood from a good supplier like Fruitawood.  Smokin-It hickory dowels are also very good.  I haven't tried the cherry yet!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:42:38 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
Polish:  I would go with one hickory dowel and then you can determine if more wood is needed for the next smoke, but for me, one dowel was plenty.   I also love hickory for ribs, and I use cherry for poultry.  I have not used the rib hooks, just lay them bone side down on the racks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2