Author Topic: Low temp smoking  (Read 9759 times)

shomesmoke

Low temp smoking
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
Ok guys looking for some info today. I have 2 pork loins in the briner to make some canadian bacon. I would like to get 4 to 5 hours of smoke on them (in 12 days.) My question is how low can i get the #3 and still produce smoke, looking for a finish IT of 145. I have never done any cheese or anything so this is new to me!

Mark
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Low temp smoking
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »
Mark, have you looked at the cold smoke plate accessory?  I have one, and it's great.  I've never made Canadian bacon from a pork loin (you definitely need to post your brine recipe!), but regular bacon is typically cold smoked.  With the cold smoke plate, you'll place your drip pan on top of it, full of ice, to keep the internal box temp down.  You have to manually turn on the temp to get smoke (for about 20 min at a time), then let the smoke sit in the chamber for a period (up to 40 min).  You have to do this because the thermocouple in the box can't sense the temp below the cold smoke plate, so it doesn't know when to turn the element off.

Hopefully, some other members have cold (or hot) smoked bacon, and can provide some better advice.  This has me really intrigued, though!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

shomesmoke

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »
Thanks Tony, I took a look at the cold smoke plate I have some sheet stainless I might shear a piece to size and try it this weekend.

As for the recipe I got it from one of the other forums it seems to be a proven recipe that many use. On the loins I trimmed them pretty close (hardly no fat or silver skin) I also cut a small roast off the end of both just to get to the good white meat. Then cut them into 3 equal pieces.

The Brine:

1 gallon of water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
1 Tbs cure #1
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs molasses (mild flavor)

The salt can vary from 1/4 to a 1 cup as to your taste or diet. Most seem to like the 3/4 cup as a start.

Cool the brine in the fridge and add your loins. Fridge must be under 40 degrees 36 to 38 is best. Leave in brine for 12 days. Then rinse, dry, and smoke them to IT 145 "Im going to check that temp I thought the safe temp for pork was higher"

Sorry for the long post.   Mark
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »
Mark,

I've never heard of smoking a pork loin to make Canadian bacon and I'm from Canada, so I'm curious and interested in your post.  A loin that is cured in a vinegar brine and coated in cornmeal is called "Peameal Bacon".
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
Mark,

The cold smoke plate is actually pretty heavy - it has insulation material sandwiched between 2 layers, and is almost an inch thick.  Not sure what your plans are, but it's not just a sheet of stainless.  Sorry if I'm underestimating your fabrication skills.  ;)

Your brine recipe looks good.  I've seen several that use a lot of garlic and other spices, but I think simple is best.  Just good cure and hickory smoke for me!

As far as smoking to 145 - that temp is recommended for bacon that you plan to cook before eating.  It's "almost" done, with some room to finish in a pan.  If you plan to slice and eat, I'd go to 155-160.  I cook loins to 155 and they come out great.

I'm curious how the recipe you have arrived at 12 days of brining.  I've been looking at several recipes on this since you peaked my interest, and I haven't found any that brine for longer than 6-7 days.  I'm curious because I want to learn more.  Can you post a link to the original recipe?  No one has any problem with cross-posting other forums.  We're all one big happy Q family!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »
Mark,

I've never heard of smoking a pork loin to make Canadian bacon and I'm from Canada, so I'm curious and interested in your post.  A loin that is cured in a vinegar brine and coated in cornmeal is called "Peameal Bacon".

I was wondering when our brothers and sisters from north of the border would chime in on this one! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
OK, I dont know how to post a link but I can tell you where I found it. (not real savy on this pc)

smokingmeatforums.com  Then do a search for, canadian bacon using Pops brine second try, thats the recipe, for just the brine recipe search, Pops wet curing brine, from reading it sounds like Pop's family has been curing meat for quite some time.

On the drop down under Forums go to (preserving food) then to (curing) lots of good posts there.

We have dry cured hams for years, but this wet curing pork loins, pork butt, and even beef brisket has me interested. I love to cook especially smoking meat so I welcome the challenge of something new.

Smokster, You being from Canada I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of these recipes as well as anyone who has ever tried anything like this.

Mark
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »
I've personally never attempted to smoke bacon or Peameal bacon, but the only ingredient you are missing is the pickling spice, then brine for 3 - 4 days, then coat in cornmeal, slice and fry.  Typically I haven't seen Peameal smoked.  But I do like your version better and would prefer to smoke and omit the pickling spice for a better result.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I'm heading down to Ohio for Thanksgiving and plan to see Steve to pick up some accessories.  I have a cousin there who smokes and cures various meats, so I will be asking him for some tips.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
OK, I dont know how to post a link but I can tell you where I found it. (not real savy on this pc)

smokingmeatforums.com  Then do a search for, canadian bacon using Pops brine second try, thats the recipe, for just the brine recipe search, Pops wet curing brine, from reading it sounds like Pop's family has been curing meat for quite some time.

On the drop down under Forums go to (preserving food) then to (curing) lots of good posts there.

We have dry cured hams for years, but this wet curing pork loins, pork butt, and even beef brisket has me interested. I love to cook especially smoking meat so I welcome the challenge of something new.

Smokster, You being from Canada I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of these recipes as well as anyone who has ever tried anything like this.

Mark

9 lbs of loin in Pop's brine tonight!  See you for the smoke in 12 days!  Can't wait to see your results before then!
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »
DM,  My 12 days are up Monday the 18th, my plan is to rinse the chunks of loin and then air dry in the fridge and smoke Tuesday.
 I am still undecided on the IT to smoke them to. I have ask this ? on other forums and have answers from 145 to 160.
Pops, who has the brine recipe and years of family smoking experience has a post where he makes about this same recipe and cooks it to IT of 150 and says its fully cooked. That being said Im thinking of pulling at 148-149 letting it rest under foil for 30 minutes or so and then cool in the fridge.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »
Mark, I know pork loins are done, and still moist, cooked to 155, so that's probably the temp I'll go for - unless you learn otherwise.  You know, though, I bet the meat being fully-cured may allow it to be "done" at a lower temp than raw meat.   Just thinking out loud...
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
Finally!!  Smokin day took the loins out of the fridge and into the #3, went with a 120 degree smoker for 2 hours then up to 135 for 1.5 hours finished at 225 til the IT was 147-148 then pulled the loins and covered with foil for 30 minutes to rest and bring the IT to 150+. Total smoking time was close to 6 hours.

After 12 days in the cure and 1 day in the fridge drying time I could not wait any longer to slice one and try it, I was NOT disappointed it tasted great, kind of a cross between canadian bacon and ham I think after it cools it will be even better!

Took 3 of the larger chunks to deer camp,  was going to have them tomorrow morning but thought I would let the guys try a small sample today, an hour later and a few cold drinks they were all 3 gone. Guys all said it was the best ham they ever had. It was supposed to be canadian bacon but if its this good what the h***.

What I might try next time:: Add some more seasoning to the brine for more flavor. (not sure what?)

Try to get more smoke on them. (might try an amps)

Do 3 loins instead of 2 they were that GOOD!!
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
I can't wait until Sunday now, Mark!  What kind of wood did you end up going with, and how much did you use?
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
Smoked with 3 ounces of cherry wood. I think the amount of wood was fine, with the controller once up to temp the burner isnt on long enough to create smoke. With the help of johnnytex I think I should split my pieces of wood smaller.

After sitting in the fridge overnight we fried some up today and the smoke flavor was perfect.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
Nice, Mark!  I'm going hickory on mine (traditionalist - love hickory for bacon).  I'll be using dowels, so I'll split them in half.  I'll follow your smoke schedule, so I'll let you know how it goes!  Temp on Sunday is only going to be a high of 40 here, so it will be my coldest smoke yet.  I'm a little nervous about that!
Tony from NW Arkansas