Author Topic: Close to Katz pastrami  (Read 1762 times)

barelfly

Close to Katz pastrami
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
After a few week process, my close to Katz pastrami turned out pretty good. I went with a smaller cut brisket flat, which is the one thing I will change next time. 4.5lb took 23 hours to smoke to temp, which dried it out a bit. After refrigerating for a few days, I steamed to 195* and it helped a bit. But the flavor of this was really good! I need to look into a meat slicer so I can get the thin cuts of meat and then I’ll be good.

So, to serve, I used some bread (I didn’t make my homemade rye bread this time - next time I will) along with provolone and homemade sauer kraut grilled on a pan. Turned out very good!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Close to Katz pastrami
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
Jeremy, what temp did you smoke it to the first time?  Knowing that you are going to steam to 195, you don't have to smoke to a very high temp, 165 would be plenty.  Smoking a flat to 195 is just asking for trouble. BTW, that will make some great breakfast hash too.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »
I smoked to 190* - which, I shouldn’t have - I know that now. So would a small flat like this work ok if I take it to 165, refrigerate and then steam to 190 or so? I’m not sure why I thought I needed to smoke it to 195 - I should have followed the recipe :)

But, hash may be something I do tomorrow morning with the remaining pastrami, or a nice breakfast at the lake this week.

I will say, I enjoyed the process of making the pastrami. It’s the science and such that I seem to geek out on :)
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
Next time try it per described and you should be a lot happier.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
Thanks SuperDave.

Also, I did up some pastrami and hash with a few fried eggs for dinner tonight. Very good, liked the flavor and texture the potatoes got from the cast iron skillet.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q