Author Topic: Cheese on the #2  (Read 4057 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Cheese on the #2
« on: October 21, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
We are finally cooling down in Colorado so I decided to smoke some cheese. I picked a variety of Gouda, Mozzarella, Farmers, and Sharp White Cheddar for some variety. I used 1 7/8 oz of sugar maple in the #2 with the cold smoke plate and a Pyrex dish with frozen water in it on top of that. I set the Auber to 260 deg for 12 minutes, 0 deg for 48 minutes and then 260 deg for 18 minutes and 0 deg 42 minutes. Classic cold smoke method. The box temp only got to 80 deg at the end of the last cycle so I was pleased with that. Haven't tasted it yet because I want the smoke to settle a little but it really turned out great. Since I was cold smoking I followed up with salmon but that is a different post.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Cheese on the #2
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »
Looks wonderful, Bob! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »
Very nice colour Bob. Let us all know how it came out after it has aged.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »
Your cheese looks really good. Gouda has become my favorite smoked cheese even though I do still really like a nice aged cheddar.

Let us know how it tastes after a rest period.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
Hey Greg, I finally tasted mine. I may lighten my wood amount a little. Maybe 1.5 oz next time. It is really good though. I am also considering trying my Am-a-zin smoker again but will have to get some chips. I had a hard time keeping it lit at our altitude.  :o
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:32:07 PM »
👍 on the 1.5 or even 1 ounce.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Hey Greg, I finally tasted mine. I may lighten my wood amount a little. Maybe 1.5 oz next time. It is really good though. I am also considering trying my Am-a-zin smoker again but will have to get some chips. I had a hard time keeping it lit at our altitude.  :o

How long did you rest? I usually smoke 3-4 hours and my cheese is edible after 2-3 weeks, but perfect after 4 weeks.

In a perfect world, we would set up an extended pipe/duct type conveyance where our smoke could travel before entering the smoke box which reduces the heat and also loses a lot of the creosote that causes the need for the extended rest time. But, I don't really have the time or energy to implement this type of system at this point. Someday, I may make a dedicated cold smoke box where I have my cold smoker (A-MAZE-N) in a Mailbox or some other non-flammable box type mod below my deck with a Wooden Cold Smoke box on the top of my deck with a stove pipe to take the smoke up to the smoker box with the cheese in it. I have seen people on other sites doing this and then be able to eat their cheese right out of the smoker after a 4-hour smoke without requiring a rest period.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
Interesting idea Greg on the cold smoker. I tasted some Gouda that I did about 2 weeks ago. It is mellowing but I think the smoke might still be a little strong. I have the other ones in the freezer. Not sure if they will mellow there. I am going to pull one for a get together this weekend.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
I wouldn't recommend freezing your smoked cheese. The texture will change for the worse and I don't think it will mellow as much or if at all in the fridge. I store all of my smoked cheese (vacuum-packed) in my fridge.

Don't give up on your cheese if it is too smoky at two weeks. You will be very surprised how much better it tastes after a month.
Gregg - Fargo, ND