Author Topic: first batch of cheeze in the #3D  (Read 11704 times)

icebob

first batch of cheeze in the #3D
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
after a dry run last night that went really well I just filled up the 3D with a big batch of cheese. Extra sharp, sharp cheddar, Gouda, parmesan, colby, colby jack, monterey jack, pepper jack swiss, and mozzarella ;). I'm using the small (6x6) amzn with cherry saw dust. I removed the drip pan, the wood box. Right on top of the drain hole I place a 80mm 24v fan sucking air from the outside, and hooked up to a 12v power supply so the fan run pretty slow. Outside temp is around 40F and after 2hrs the temp inside the 3D is steady 59F. Planning to let this go for about 4 to 5 hrs while moving the shelves about twice. here's some pics

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:11:37 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Durangosmoker

Re: first batch of cheeze in the #3D
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 03:58:50 PM »
Wow, nice setup.  Where did you get the fan?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

TexasSMK

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
This is interesting--have you explained somewhere else the how, and why for this configuration.  I would love to smoke some cheese.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

icebob

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:17:46 PM »
This is interesting--have you explained somewhere else the how, and why for this configuration.  I would love to smoke some cheese.

This is my first try in my new smoker (got it 3 days ago) from what I read the biggest prob with the A-MAZE-N saw dust/pellet smoker was that the unit is so well thight, air to keep the amzn lit was an issue, having some fan and power supply laying around, I tought I will give it a try. I didn't want to use a 12v fan with the 12v power supply as I didn't want the dust to burn too fast and raise the temp inside the smoker. I didn't have a potentiometer laying around so the 24v fan with the 12v psu sound logic to me...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
Now that is a nice load of cheese!

How long are you going to smoke it?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

icebob

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »
I'm at 4.5 right now... another 1/2 hre and I will call it a day 8)
Bob from Cahokia, IL

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Sounds perfect!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
Very interesting on the time difference. I've smoked all my batches of cheese with the SI element and varied smoke time between 1 hour to 1 1 /2 hour, a lot less wood.  I'm curious to see if your alternate smoke source makes that big of a difference in time and wood. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:11:18 PM »
4-5 hours is pretty common and some people go even longer.

I have found that for me 5 hours is my sweet spot after trying times as low as 3 and as high as 6. I smoke more until I get the color that I am looking for than a set time period. It just so happens that 5 hours is usually what it takes for me to see the color that I am looking for.

I get a pretty steady smoke for the entire time with my A-MAZE-N AMNPS or my AMNTS.

The advantage of going shorter like Dave is that I would guess you don't have to let your cheese mellow quite as long. But, my guess is that the depth of smoke flavor would not be there as compared to a 4-5 hour smoke.

Then again, the amount of smokiness that one likes on their cheese is pretty subjective. So, I can appreciate why some may not smoke their cheese as long as others.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »
How'd they turn out?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:54 AM »
Ok I guess! we'll find out in about 3 weeks :o

Bob from Cahokia, IL

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
Looks great, Bob!   I did 10# of cheese yesterday, and now the waiting game while they sit in the fridge!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »
Wow.  Nothing more I can say, Bob, but "Wow!"  Nice job!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 11:28:23 PM »
They look picture perfect Bob.   8)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah