Author Topic: Pick up smoker?  (Read 13497 times)

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Pick up smoker?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
I read this Boston before.... It was in colonial times and at the Boston port where in the barrel butts that porkj was shipped .... But my memory is for nothing at the age of 38.  :-)
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
That's right, Steve!  It was the Boston area where this practice of putting the "lesser cuts" in the wood butts was first practiced.  Since that was the main sea port, most of these barrels were sold to ships.  The shoulder cut with the blade bone, known as the "Boston butt," was unique to the Boston area butchers.  The name became common, once the cut was shipped around the country.  Still trying to find out why the name didn't stick in Boston!  I bet it's more common now, though.

According to the National Pork Board, the "picnic shoulder" (sometimes called the picnic ham) is a little more vague.  Best guesses say it's called that because the taste more resembles ham, when smoked, than the shoulder blade (Boston butt) cut does.  It's believed that it was often substituted for the more expensive ham cut (from the hind leg) for informal meals, like outings and picnics. 

Maybe we have a member from Boston that can answer the question about what they call them there! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Just a small bit of advice for meat since your in the Fairlawn area.  I'm guessing Steve met you right off of RT18.  Next to BestBuy is a GFS store.  No membership is required there and they have some great cuts of meat, and some of it is only one or two days old.  The Brisket and pork shoulders are very well priced.  Just my 2 cents.

Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
Ohio has some of the best and tastiest pork and beef anywhere.  Grew up on that stuff. Still miss Bob Evans and White Castles.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus