Author Topic: Temp issues: upgrade to 400 w from 350?  (Read 4487 times)

Nhseacoast

Temp issues: upgrade to 400 w from 350?
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
Hi everyone. I have a Model 1 from 2012 with a 350 W element.  I have used it only about four or five times in the last four years. Recently I smoked a 5 pound pork butt. The smoker was on set to 250 for 9 hours. The unit reached only 170 degrees (oven thermometer, accuracy confirmed in digital home oven.) The pork butt reached 150 and no higher via an in-meat thermometer. I had a small pan of water beneath the butt. Butt was top rack. I did use a 25 foot 14 g extension cord. Subsequent testing with the smoker empty shows that it can reach an internal temp of 250 when set to 250 when plugged directly into a 20 amp outlet in my house. But only 225 on a 15 amp outlet. Problem is, when smoking, I only have access to 15 amps. Why can this unit not even reach 250 when plugged into a 15 amp outlet as recommended? Obviously the next step is to try it again without an extension cord, but I wonder, if the unit cannot even reach 250 empty, how will it ever reach 225 with a meat and water pan heat sink present? It doesn't seem that a 350 W element is up to the task, which is probably why they went to 400 W. Do you all recommend just upgrading to the 400 W element, or should I wadte another day and another pork butt on further testing? Thanks.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Temp issues: upgrade to 400 w from 350?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
First of all, a 5 pound pork butt is on the small side, so don't be surprised it takes 2-3 hours per pound at 225 (assuming your internal box temp could get that high). At 170, hopefully your butt got through the danger zone (above 140) within 4 hours. It probably got smoke, so you could finish it in the oven. Temporary solution.

Now onto your real issue. I have a #1 with the 400 watt element. Set at 250, it easily can swing up to 270 or so, even with meat inside. Set at 225, it has no problem getting to 225 or higher. Mine is plugged into a standard 15 amp outlet. I have never used an extension cord, so I can't say how a 25-footer might affect it. Seems to me that a 350 watt element probably performed fine back in the day, or at least better than yours is performing. I don't think you should have to plug it into a 20 amp outlet. I wonder because of the age, if your element is not performing 100%. Try turning it on full blast with the door open and the wood box removed. Does the element get red all over? Or are there areas of the element that don't get red? The 400 watt replacement element is about $30 plus shipping (not bad). So it might be worth a try if you are confident with your thermometer readings. That's what I like about these smokers. Practically everything is user-replaceable, with parts at reasonable prices, but they are so well built you probably won't need to replace things very often.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:26:19 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nhseacoast

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice SconnieQ!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
Hi NH!  Sorry to hear that your first post with us is a problem!  Now that you're here, how about adding a name & town to your signature line?  If you spend a little time here, you'll probably want to use your #1 a lot more! ;)

Now, on to your problem.  The extension cord is most-likely your culprit.  A good-grade 12/3 cord will work better.  But, you should plug it in direct, if able, and check the temp.  You could have a bad element, but likely it's the power draw from the extension cord. 

As for the 400w element vs. the 350....Yes, please! :)   I did a lot of smoking with the 350w element in my 2012 #1, but upgraded to the 400w when Steve sent me one to test.  Big difference!  Doesn't sound like much, but in the compact size of the #1, it really helps.  The upgrade was done to be more competitive with the competition, not because of any problems with the 350 heating properly, btw.

Great to have you with us!  Hang out, when able, and get to know us!  We're actually a pretty fun bunch! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nhseacoast

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »
Thank you Divot! Actually just installed the 400 W a few minutes ago. Heating it up now to test it out. Thanks. -mike

Rich B

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
When did the #1 switch from 350 to 400w elements?  I bought a used #1 this summer, I believe manufactured late 2014....
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
When did the #1 switch from 350 to 400w elements?  I bought a used #1 this summer, I believe manufactured late 2014....

Yours may have the 400 - check the plate on the back panel (it says on there).  I think it was before that, but I can't recall for sure.  Worth the upgrade, if yours is the 350.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Nhseacoast

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
Ok. Yesterday I smoked another 5lb pork butt. I have the 400w element in place. No water filled basin. Plugged directly into an outlet with no extension cord. Outdoor temp was 55.  The internal temp of the unit as measured by an analog oven thermometer did not go above 200. After 7 hours the meat was only 160 as measured by a digital instant thermometer. Had to finish it off inside. Am I expecting too much of this thing? I expect it to be able to reach at least 225 internally. Switching from the 350 element to 400 brought it from 180 last time to 200 yesterday. Do I need to start looking at adjusting the thermostat? Thanks. Mike

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
Just a quick thought. Check your smoker probe and make sure it it cleane and has no crust on it. It does not need to be pristine but should not have excessive buildup of food or grease.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Nhseacoast

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Will do. Thanks.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »
One more thought, besides the probe Dave mentioned.  5 lb butts are a little unpredictable, so to be in a stall at 160, after 7 hours, is not totally unheard of.  How, again, did you measure the box temperature?  And was the probe near the meat, or back near the box probe?

If you reliably measured the box temp, it could be possible your controller rheostat is bad.  If you test the box temp, with nothing in it, see if it gets to 250.  If it doesn't, contact Steve.  It could be a bad controller and/or element (yes, it's possible to have a bad element out of the box).  Call Steve.  If your box temp readings are accurate, something's not right.  My #1 (er...my sister's #1 now) has never failed to reach set temp, no matter how much I stuffed in it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Nhseacoast

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »
Hi Divot. I measured the internal temp using an analog dial type thermometer, which I've tested and confirmed in my kitchen oven. It was at the front of the smoker, not near the rear. It was near the meat. Thanks.