Author Topic: 4 chickens with 4 different types of wood.  (Read 2392 times)

ibbones

4 chickens with 4 different types of wood.
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »
Hello all.  I tried a little experiment with the smoker and wood.  I bought four whole chickens that were frozen a few weeks ago for $.59 a pound.  I treated them all the same and smoked them all with different woods to get a handle on which I like better.  Here are my notes.
Tuesday I put two birds in the fridge to thaw so I could smoke on Wednesday.
Made up four gallons of a basic brine so each bird will get the same swim.
Wednesday I pulled one bird from the fridge and washed, brined for 2 hours and rubbed with 1/4 cup of SPOG.

Chicken #1 was 5.99LB and box temp was 97*
Smokinlicious Sugar Maple 4.2oz split to 5 slivers and into the smoker at 250* until it hit 165* in the breast.  It took 3 hours.
Opened up the smoker to get the bird and let it cool off for the second run.  Bird had a dark color and smelled great.

Chicken #2 was 6.23LB and brined for 2 hours, rubbed with 1/4 cup rub
Maine Grilling Wood apple 4.4oz split into 6 slivers.  Box temp was 121* and took 2.7 hours. 
Through for the day.  Grabbed other birds and put them in the fridge to thaw overnight.

Thursday I grabbed Chicken #3  from the fridge and it was still mostly frozen but rinsed and brined for 2 hours.  After swim, it was still slightly frozen  but rubbed with 1/4 cup rub and into the smoker with Smokinlicious Cherry 4.2oz cut into 6 slivers.  Probed and with a box temp of 95*, the bird was only 29* but fired up the smoker anyway.  This one took 4.4 hours.

Chicken #4 was 6.28LB, rubbed with 1/4 cup rub and into the box with a temp of 127*  Smokinlicious Hickory 4.0oz split into 5 pieces this one took 3.1 hours.
All four chickens were placed into a gallon zip lock bag with the type of wood used.
Friday evening we had 7 guests coming for supper.  I deboned each chicken and set two on a cookie sheet with 1 toothpick in pile #1, 2 toothpicks in #2 and so on.   Two large cookie sheets with two big piles of chicken meat each and added 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar for a bit of moister covered in foil and slid the cookie sheets into the smoker about an hour before supper time and turned it to 195* for about 20 minuted then 275* until it was time to eat.
I had each person take some chicken from each pile and give me feedback
on which one they liked the best with "no wrong answers".

Results, the Sugar Maple was the favorite followed by Apple.  Most did not care for the Hickory but did not hate it.
I had a lot of fun doing this and now have a lot of chicken to cube up and freeze.  One dish of King Ranch Chicken is already planned. :)
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 4 chickens with 4 different types of wood.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 11:41:05 PM »
Wow! Thanks for doing that. That's good information. Most people like cherry on poultry, but sounds like it came in 3rd place with your testers. I am also a fan of the Sugar Maple from smokinlicious on poultry and pork.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »
sounds like fun.  i've never done that before at one time, but have done it over time.  i have found that for chicken pecan is king.  try some pecan bird.  of course, this stuff is all personal preference.
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:16:02 AM »
I actually tried smokinlicous sugar maple on bone in chicken this weekend. the flavor was very good. I am a hickory fan but find maple and cherry both a better choice for poultry.  I will need to do a side by side (like you) to determine my favorite between the two!

Really good information! Hickory still has a place in my heart for Pork but I agree to go elsewhere for Chicken!!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!