Author Topic: No.1 question...  (Read 8485 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: No.1 question...
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:33 PM »
The stall happens no matter which model smoker you have. Just one of those things we have to live with.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
The stall is a good thing and not something to try to avoid or shorten. This is when all the magic happens.

Embrace the stall!   8)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Tar54

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
Well....I ran the 2D for a year....smoked multiple Bostons..ect....never knew I had a stall! lol I will just carry on!   :)
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
Kicks in right around 165 -170.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »
I can also speak, with experience, that the stall is the same in a 1 or 2 (or 3, for that matter).  It only happens in large, fatty cuts, like pork butts and briskets (and others).  This is evaporative cooling, where the rendering fat and connective tissue starts flowing out of the meat, and actually cools the surface, like when we sweat in the wind.  Like Gregg said, this is where the magic happens!  Embrace the stall!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tar54

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
I can also speak, with experience, that the stall is the same in a 1 or 2 (or 3, for that matter).  It only happens in large, fatty cuts, like pork butts and briskets (and others).  This is evaporative cooling, where the rendering fat and connective tissue starts flowing out of the meat, and actually cools the surface, like when we sweat in the wind.  Like Gregg said, this is where the magic happens!  Embrace the stall!
Thats the beautiful thing about Smokin-it smokers...you set it and forget! I am a prime example of the fact that anyone can run one of these with outstanding results!  :)
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

ibanez122

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »
What kind of times are you guys experiencing running a butt in the No.1? Is stalling prevalent in the No.1?

My first smoke was a butt and was a little over 9 hours I think (I have a thread on it a few lines down).  Mine bogged down around 175 though i was worried that it was cooking to quick bc the temp was climbing pretty steady to that point.
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 07:43:26 PM »
...though i was worried that it was cooking to quick bc the temp was climbing pretty steady to that point.

This is really common, and can scare the bejeezes out of folks new to dealing with large cuts that stall!  It still amazes me how fast the temp climbs, out of the gate.  But, rest assured, that 10 lb butt will NEVER be done in 4 hours, even though it looks like it will.  It WILL stall, and you build confidence in knowing that, the more you smoke.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!