Author Topic: No.1 question...  (Read 8484 times)

Tar54

No.1 question...
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:27:38 AM »
While my son was home the 2D served us well...but I gave it to my son as a present as I knew it was to much for me and mom...it will keep him and his soon to be wife and all of their buddies well fed! I am going to keep it simple for us as I discovered that in the end it is all about internal temp. hence the No.1...on to my question...does the no.1 come with a internal meat probe? and if not which do I need? Thanks in advance!
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: No.1 question...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:07:33 AM »
The #1 does not come with any internal probes. You will need to run your probe wires through the hole on the top. If I didn't already have a Maverick which works fine, I would get a Fireboard, because of the multiple probes. If you don't need four or more probes, I would check out ThermoPro. You should get one with both an ambient probe, and a meat probe. I don't use the ambient probe very often, but it's good to have in case I ever need to check the box temp, or for cold smoking. I also have a couple of the el-cheapo digital thermometers that you can buy at big box stores, for when I need additional probes, or for backups. The #1 comes with the analog controller, so it will be a change from your D model. But it's simple and works great.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tar54

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »
I will do a search but where would I find the Fireboard probe unit at? Thanks!

Tar54

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:22:24 AM »
I found it and think i will go with the Fireboard!

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
Nice choice! On my wish list.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tar54

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:43:23 PM »
Its on its way!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
Rick, I have one of the original "small batch" Fireboard test units that they sent me to test for them.  It's still going strong!  They're even better now, but I love my prototype unit!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tar54

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
Rick, I have one of the original "small batch" Fireboard test units that they sent me to test for them.  It's still going strong!  They're even better now, but I love my prototype unit!
Yours run off of a battery as well? If so how long does the battery last per charge on average? Thanks

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
Mine runs off the rechargeable battery and a DC power cord.  I'm really not sure how long the battery lasts  because I always plug it in for 12+ hr smokes (don't want it to die when I'm not watching).  Seems to hold a charge fine for shorter smoke though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Tar54

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
Mine runs off the rechargeable battery and a DC power cord.  I'm really not sure how long the battery lasts  because I always plug it in for 12+ hr smokes (don't want it to die when I'm not watching).  Seems to hold a charge fine for shorter smoke though.
Ok I was just curious and did not realize it came with a DC power cord..thanks for the input.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
When I first started testing it, I suggested a case to Ted.  We talked through a few design ideas, and I see they have one now.  I think I'll be ordering one!  It needs a case, and the new kits should come with one, but don't.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Tar54

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
When I first started testing it, I suggested a case to Ted.  We talked through a few design ideas, and I see they have one now.  I think I'll be ordering one!  It needs a case, and the new kits should come with one, but don't.
I saw that and got the case. Ordered the No.1 Wednesday on the last day of the sale...Fed-EX notification says it will be here tomorrow! SMOKIN-IT FAST! lol

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »
I saw that and got the case. Ordered the No.1 Wednesday on the last day of the sale...Fed-EX notification says it will be here tomorrow! SMOKIN-IT FAST! lol
The most excited I've seen for downsizing! Go #1 !!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tar54

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:46 PM »
The most excited I've seen for downsizing! Go #1 !!
Its all good!My son has only had the 2D for 2 weeks but it feels as the withdrawals will be starting soon if we don't get our "fix" soon! lol Though we are indeed downsizing the experience and taste will not be down sized in the least!My Smokin-It experience has exceed all others!We went "Hogwild" with that 2D and now that I have a lot of experience in both success and failure I will be able to hit the ground running when it gets here! I realize there will be a bit of a learning curve I am ready to take on that challenge!

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »
I had a lot of great times with my #1, Rick!  Now, my sister and her family are enjoying it!  It will be great for you.
Tony from NW Arkansas