Author Topic: Smoking rainbow trout  (Read 4535 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoking rainbow trout
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
Perfect, I am heading to Costco in the next day or so and I will plan to up of the Chilean Sea Bass.
Best Greg

Greg, I think you will like smoked Chilean Sea Bass if you are not a fan of salmon. Another good mild fatty fish to smoke is Alaskan Sablefish, also known as Alaskan Black Cod. In my top 2 of all around favorite fish. (Not actually cod, that is a nickname, and not related to cod.) It is very high in fat, and very popular for smoking. Sablefish/Black Cod has become so popular, that is most cases it is much more expensive than Chilean Sea Bass. So I reserve mine for Miso Marinated Black Cod. But, if you have a good source for it, it's a great fish to smoke. (I have to custom order from Alaska or from local Fish Market around here.) It's a little softer and finer in texture than Chilean Sea Bass. I prefer the large flakes and juicy fat between the flakes of Chilean Sea Bass, but smoked Sablefish/Black Cod is close second. FYI, Chilean Sea Bass from Costco might become a favorite for you for all fish dishes, not just smoking. :)

Kari,
Thanks I am heading to Costco on Monday and I will pick up the Sea Bass. Do you just put it on the standard rack in the smoker?
Best Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
Kari and gang, I did find that you can order Black Cod from Costco at $24.00 a lb. The bad news is that you have to buy 10 lbs.

Northwest Fish Wild Black Cod, 10 lbs.

★★★★★ No rating value ★★★★★

Item #1214614
Your Price 234.99$
Price Per POUND: $23.50   

Shipping & Handling Included*
Features:

Wild Caught
    Rich Omega-3
    Succulent
    Ships Frozen
    20 x 8 oz. Portions
Best Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
Kari,
Thanks I am heading to Costco on Monday and I will pick up the Sea Bass. Do you just put it on the standard rack in the smoker?
Best Greg

I use Frogmats (Q-MATZ) on top of the regular grates for all of my fish. If your fish pieces are large enough, you could place them directly on the standard racks if they don't fall through. Or cut a piece of parchment paper to fit under your fish would also work, but might retain a little moisture. I don't think this would be a huge problem for fish smokes for fish like salmon, sea bass, black cod.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
Kari and gang, I did find that you can order Black Cod from Costco at $24.00 a lb. The bad news is that you have to buy 10 lbs.

Northwest Fish Wild Black Cod, 10 lbs.

★★★★★ No rating value ★★★★★

Item #1214614
Your Price 234.99$
Price Per POUND: $23.50   

Shipping & Handling Included*
Features:

Wild Caught
    Rich Omega-3
    Succulent
    Ships Frozen
    20 x 8 oz. Portions
Best Greg

That actually sounds pretty darn good to me. I always order 10 pounds to offset the shipping on dry ice from FishEx.com. $24 per pound is a good price. FishEx regular price is around $38/pound. PLUS $25 shipping. Thanks for the info! It really is worth it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:53:20 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
This is one of my smoked trout filets.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah