Author Topic: Getting started!  (Read 8703 times)

ibanez122

Re: Getting started!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 08:01:25 AM »
Derek,
I wrap my butts  1/2 way through and your time of start works great for your size of butt. If you don’t wrap, you will likely be closer to 2 hours per pound including rest time.

Regarding wood, 6 oz. is about right but a little light for my tastes.

May have to look into do doing this.. are you double wrapping when you do this or just one later of foil?

Super Dave gives good advice with wrapping half way through.

What time do you plan on eating? The 3 or 4 pork butts I’ve smoked have taken a long time. I cooked an 8lb boneless pork butt that brined 24 hours a few weeks back and it took nearly 16 hours to get to temp and feel. I started it at 10pm and pulled at 2pm the following day. I did not wrap during the cook, but may try this next time. So, my advice, start earlier and hold in a cooler double wrapped with a towel for longer if needed. The best butt I’ve made SARA in a cooler this way for 4 hours while I traveled to our lake house. When I served it, it was piping hot and the bone pulled right out. Everyone loved it.

Have fun with the cook!

Don't really have a time table for eating since I have no plans this weekend so I decided to do my first smoke!  I've considered starting the night before due to the amount of time it could take the reach temp. Is rather have it done earlier in the afternoon instead did 6 or 7 at night.  Is a few hours always a normal time for meat to rest (or specifically pork butt)?
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »
Dave do mean halfway through by time or at a certain IT? 
I'll usually smoke for 4 to 4.5 hours and then wrap with some apple juice or soda in a foil pan.

Also do you wrap to maintain moisture?
Yes, but just one of the reasons.  As I mentioned, it reduces time significantly and I like all my meat fall apart tender.  If you are a hard bark guy, this method adversely affects that. 
Is a few hours always a normal time for meat to rest (or specifically pork butt)?
Generally normal for large cuts like pork butt and beef brisket.  However, these cuts will stay hot for up to 4+ hours with no problem. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:36:52 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

barelfly

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »

Is a few hours always a normal time for meat to rest (or specifically pork butt)?

Yes, I’ve held each butt I’ve smoked for at least 2 hours. I’ve read others do the same, can even hold in the smoker with a set temp of 140* if needed. Double wrapped at this temp is a good way. I held a brisket this way for quite a few hours and it worked great.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Bearsmoke

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 07:24:18 PM »
Thanks SuperDave!  All good things to know.
Barry from NE Arkansas
Smokin-It 3D, Phoenix gas grill

ibanez122

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
My first smoke - 7.5 pound bone in pork butt is going on right now!  Went in at 630 this morning. Would have started it around midnight but we had rain roll through so it wasnt worth starting.  Temp has been climbing fairly steady. Last I checked was 145 at 1020ish.  Stoked!!!!
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

barelfly

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »
Sweet! Enjoy the cook! And get ready for the stall!

Post pics when it’s all ready to eat!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

ibanez122

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »
Quick question about this smoke.  It's 10 till one right now and the temp is sitting at 176. It doesn't seem like it's stalling like I have read about. It seems it's creeping not super slow but not as slow as I would have imagined it too.  Should I be concerned or just go with It? 
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 01:00:43 PM »
Just go with it.   The stall is usually around 170-180, so you are probably experiencing the stall now.   When you reach your desired IT, you could also use another temp probe just to check the IT.   But, given when you started the butt, it sounds about right to me.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
Derek, it sounds like you are having a great first smoke with no issues and you'll be able to eat at a reasonable hour.  Just don't get spoiled and expect them all to be this easy. Lol!

ibanez122

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 01:18:45 PM »
Just go with it.   The stall is usually around 170-180, so you are probably experiencing the stall now.   When you reach your desired IT, you could also use another temp probe just to check the IT.   But, given when you started the butt, it sounds about right to me.
Derek, it sounds like you are having a great first smoke with no issues and you'll be able to eat at a reasonable hour.  Just don't get spoiled and expect them all to be this easy. Lol!

Thanks guys.  It smells amazing so far. My son keeps asking when it's gonna be done. No patience!!!!!
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

ibanez122

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »
Hit 190 and out of the smoker...  Now resting in the cooler.  What do you guys think?
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

TX Gent

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
Looks like a fine smoke and first effort Derek! If it's as tasty as your picture is it'll be a home run.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »
Derek, did you just pull it at 190 because that was your set temp or did you do a bone wiggle to make sure it was ready? 

ibanez122

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
Derek, did you just pull it at 190 because that was your set temp or did you do a bone wiggle to make sure it was ready?

I pulled at set temp.. didn't know about the wiggle method  :o
Derek from Northern VA
Smokin-It #1

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 01:45:56 AM »
So how’d it taste?