Author Topic: Looking to get a #1  (Read 6136 times)

santange11

Looking to get a #1
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
Hey all,

I've been looking into getting an electric smoker and Smokin-It seems to be the way to go. A friend had a Bradley and it worked, when it actually worked. These seem much more durable and long lasting than most that I've seen. My question is is the model #1 enough?

Size wise, it can cook enough for my needs. I just am curious about peoples opinion in holding off to get a #2 or even a 2D. For someone just getting into this, is the larger size worth it in the model #2. The only advantage I can see for me would be being able to fit a full brisket in.

Thank you guys for the advice, I love following the forum.
Tim from Portland, OR

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking to get a #1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.  As for the size of the smoker, and keeping your budget in mind, get the largest you can afford.  The extra real estate is nice when you need it.  Many find the #1 to be all they need. Read through the #1 posts to get an idea of what folks smoke and see if it will meet your needs.  If not, the #2 would be a good choice.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
I have a #1, and I cut a full packer brisket in half. A full packer is going to be around 15-20 pounds. You will trim a coupe pounds of fat (hopefully not more than that!). It smokes beautifully on a #1. Just did another this last weekend. Put the point half – fat side down – on a lower rack (the point takes more direct heat and shields the flat), an the flat – fat side up – on a rack above it. Target temps are 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. With this arrangement in the #1, you will find that each piece reaches it's target temp at around the same time. I've got this down to a science. It is foolproof if you buy quality meat, such as the PRIME whole packer briskets at Costco, which I bought this last week for $2.99 per pound. Okay, now for the size smoker you should buy. A full packer 15 pounds or less will probably fit in a #2 whole if you let it touch the front and back when you put it in (allowing for shrinkage). But is still a tight fit. I happen to think the two rack method is superior anyway, due to the different cooking temperatures and rendering requirements of the two different muscle groups. But...when it comes to buying decisions, I never once wanted a #2. My advice is always, if you are at all in question about which size smoker you should get, then you should get the larger one. In your case, if you are considering a #2, then that's probably what you should get.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

santange11

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.  As for the size of the smoker, and keeping your budget in mind, get the largest you can afford.  The extra real estate is nice when you need it.  Many find the #1 to be all they need. Read through the #1 posts to get an idea of what folks smoke and see if it will meet your needs.  If not, the #2 would be a good choice.

Thanks for the welcome. I've probably spent more time that I should have reading through forums, lots of good information. I just didn't find much on a comparison between the 1 and the 2 other than size. From the look of things, that might be the only glaring difference.
Tim from Portland, OR

santange11

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
I have a #1, and I cut a full packer brisket in half. A full packer is going to be around 15-20 pounds. You will trim a coupe pounds of fat (hopefully not more than that!). It smokes beautifully on a #1. Just did another this last weekend. Put the point half – fat side down – on a lower rack (the point takes more direct heat and shields the flat), an the flat – fat side up – on a rack above it. Target temps are 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. With this arrangement in the #1, you will find that each piece reaches it's target temp at around the same time. I've got this down to a science. It is foolproof if you buy quality meat, such as the PRIME whole packer briskets at Costco, which I bought this last week for $2.99 per pound. Okay, now for the size smoker you should buy. A full packer 15 pounds or less will probably fit in a #2 whole if you let it touch the front and back when you put it in (allowing for shrinkage). But is still a tight fit. I happen to think the two rack method is superior anyway, due to the different cooking temperatures and rendering requirements of the two different muscle groups. But...when it comes to buying decisions, I never once wanted a #2. My advice is always, if you are at all in question about which size smoker you should get, then you should get the larger one. In your case, if you are considering a #2, then that's probably what you should get.

From the sound of it, the 1 would be a perfect fit. I don't think Ill ever be cooking more than a single brisket or pork butt at a time.
Tim from Portland, OR

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I've probably spent more time that I should have reading through forums, lots of good information. I just didn't find much on a comparison between the 1 and the 2 other than size. From the look of things, that might be the only glaring difference.

I spent several months reading through the forums before I bought my #1 too! I probably read most every post at that time, but the forum has grown significantly since then. The difference is the size. The element is larger on the #2, but that is to accommodate the larger box size. The internal capacity is larger, but that advantage depends on what you want to put in there. I can do a full packer brisket (cut in half), one big pork butt, one 14-15 pound turkey, 2 chickens, 3-4 racks of ribs, etc. in my #1. You will be able to do the same in the #2. The only difference is that you might be able to do 2 pork butts, maybe 4 chickens, more than 4 racks of ribs, but still just 1 full packer brisket. Also, more shelves for smaller things that aren't very tall like fish or chicken wings. I've never found the #1 to be too small for my needs. It's perfect for 4-8 or less, depending on what you are smoking. And I can smoke for 10-12 easily when it comes to brisket or butt, but the #2 might be more well suited for those quantities if that is your thing. A #2 is going to give you a little more breathing room and flexibility. My buying decisions for the #1 were heavily based on: 1) mostly using for 2-4 people maximum 2) weight, and ease of lifting up and down some stairs if necessary 3) storage, being able to store in a small corner on my back porch, behind a chair and out of eyesight when not in use.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:05:46 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
I went through the same mental struggle before going with the #2.  Be ready, because as soon as you decide on the #2 you'll start asking yourself about the #3.  :)   I'm very happy with my choice... there are times I'm sure the #1 would have been cramped.  The #2 fits well in my space and does everything I want to do.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
Ditto to what Larry said. I have the #2 but I do need the extra space at times when cooking for a crowd. I was able to smoke a whole packer without cutting it and have dome as many as 3 butts at one time. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will be happy.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:30:07 AM by JustChillin »
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

TX Gent

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Howdy santange11 and welcome to the forum ...

I'm just a few days ahead of you joining and purchasing a Smoke It smoker.

Each of us choose our size based on perceived needs. So just decide what will be your 80% most of the time smoking needs and go from there.

As regards the #1 vs #2, size did matter to us ... Smaller is better.

SconnieQ is right about the amount of meat #1 will hold and feed based upon my judgement too. Mostly I'll be smoking for just two and a dog. Occasionally and at the most two or three times a year for six to eight adults which I consider the exceptions. Even then there are work a rounds with double cooks/hold overs if you have a bigger group to feed.

One turkey, one brisket, one butt, all will be more than enough for six or eight adults at holiday events with fix in's. The other major factor for us was the ability to load the smoker and take it RV camping. I did consider the #2 just because maybe I might want to do more down the road, but for our everyday needs the #1 was the better choice. It's lighter, smaller and more convenient.

The #2 is more of the same, just more of it ...lol

You can't go wrong either way santange11
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
I have the s1 and love it. I’m very happy I went with that size and not bigger as it’s only my wife and I. However I’ve made pulled pork and it was enough to feed us and half the shop at my work with a 9lb butt. So jus thought I’d give my 2 ¢
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

santange11

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, this is a great forum. I decided to go with the number 1 and will be getting it with my next paycheck.
Tim from Portland, OR

JustChillin

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
You will be very happy.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

TX Gent

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
It's actually a large small smoker...mighty glad you made a choice santange11. Post up when that day arrives!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
Hi Tim,Great choice with the SI#1. I have had mine for 2+ years and it has performed admirably. I smoke year round (admittedly...more in the warmer weather) and I have yet to be disappointed.
Regarding the size....If the Little Guy satisfies the majority of your needs go for it.... on the occasion that you need more capacity there are work a-rounds. It all boils down to affordability....
+1 on the suggestion that you go for the size that best accommodates your planned usage

Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

drains

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
A big ol howdy from Texas Tim!  That smoker will last a very long time with minimal attention. Get ready to become the go to guy for bbq. I look forward to reading your posts.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3