Author Topic: Just got my #1  (Read 4240 times)

GaryLDaniels

Just got my #1
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »
Been smoking for years with Green egg and stick smoker want to try this small electric because it seem the correct size for two people. Hope to have good control over heat.

ibbones

Re: Just got my #1
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »
Welcome from South Texas.  You will never use charcoal again.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
Welcome Gary from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Hi Gary, Welcomw e aboard from N'East MA!
You can't go wrong with your choice of the SI#1. It is the ideal size for smoking for 2.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
Welcome aboard Gary! You can look forward to some great times smoking and eating.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
Welcome, Gary, from the Hudson Valley.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
Welcome to the family, Gary.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 11:32:35 PM »
Welcome Gary! I've had my #1 for over two years. I love the size! It is perfect for 2, but I have smoked for 6-10+ with no problem.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

40 caliber

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »
Sconnie,
6-10? that's probably pork butt. what can you do with ribs? can you do 4 Baby backs or only 2 full racks?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
Sconnie,
6-10? that's probably pork butt. what can you do with ribs? can you do 4 Baby backs or only 2 full racks?

6-10 people would be a 14 pound turkey, brisket, or pork butt. I have the older rack guides, which only have 3 rails, so I can do 3 racks of baby backs, one rack of ribs per shelf, cut in half. It looks like the newer #1 has 4 rack guides, so in theory you could do 4 racks of ribs on 4 shelves, but you'd probably have to rotate the shelves, because the lower shelf looks pretty close to the smoke box. I don't know about you, but 3 baby backs would feed 6 people, unless they are big eaters. With sides, I usually end up eating just 3 or 4 ribs. But there are members of my family that could probably eat a whole rack of Baby Backs. As far as St. Louis spares or full spares, I do two, by doing 2/3 rack on shelf 1, 2/3 rack on shelf 2, and the two little 1/3 pieces on shelf 3. You do have to cut things into two pieces for ribs and brisket, but since I cut them up in the end to serve anyway, I haven't found this to be a problem, and the quality of the end product seems just as good. It just adds for a few more barky edges if you like that stuff.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:09:34 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

kevreh

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 09:23:57 AM »
Gary,

How do you like the smokin-it vs the egg for smoking?