Author Topic: Hog head  (Read 2014 times)

Etex

Hog head
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »
Anyone had any experience with smoking one of these.?

McSev2010

Re: Hog head
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »
Seen it when I lived in Puerto Rico - haven't done it myself.  When I watched them do this on the beach, the fine cooks doing it did several things:

1) Shaved with a straight razor (for real) all the bristles off the face if they weren't removed
2) If they couldn't get them off with a straight razor, they used a small gas torch to burn whiskers/stubs off
3)  I have seen them use a salt water or vinegar soaked towel to clean the whole head - including the ears.
4)  I found out later (I'd only been on the beach while they were smoking it) that they also soak the whole head for about 2 hours in cold water.  Apparently, most heads come salted and this removes some the salt and makes for a more consistent flavor.  Once done soaking, they dry the head off with towels and put on a tray and leave in the fridge to dry for a day - the key, I'm told, to crisper skin.
5) Sometimes when the shack I went to was busy, they would have the heads sliced in half to cook faster.

Since this was on the beach, the head was buried in a sand pit smoker.   A lot of picking, but pig's cheeks are all that. :-)

Etex

Re: Hog head
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
Saw them serving them on Andrew Zimmern's show.   Think I will try it later.  His were not smoked, but think it could be done.  I will do a little more research before trying.    Thanks for  your response.