Author Topic: Pickled Eggs Sweet and Spicy  (Read 7425 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Pickled Eggs Sweet and Spicy
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »
I did my first few batches with dill pickle juice, pickling spice, vinegar and garlic. I think they taste really good but the pickled egg experts that I know said there wasn't enough kick.  I guess they are supposed to be spicy to meet the norm requirements for pickled eggs.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Pickled Eggs Sweet and Spicy
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
I did my first few batches with dill pickle juice, pickling spice, vinegar and garlic. I think they taste really good but the pickled egg experts that I know said there wasn't enough kick.  I guess they are supposed to be spicy to meet the norm requirements for pickled eggs.

Nonsense! There are hundreds of variations on pickled eggs. A tavern tradition up here in Wisco. You could add some red pepper flakes if kick is required, but spicy is not a requirement around here that I am aware of. I personally like the ones marinated in beet/pickle juice. I just made some 6 minute soft-boiled eggs today for Ramen eggs, but I won't get into that unless someone is actually interested. :)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide