Author Topic: First Brisket  (Read 2521 times)

dannyboy

First Brisket
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
Ok.  Got the ribs basics in another post. After the ribs I'm doing my first brisket. Please give me the scoop. This thing has to be good. My wife is not a big beef fan. I've been telling her she would love this, because they're so tender. I MUST get this right.  All the help I can get will be appreciated.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

Tyarra

Re: First Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »
We did our first brisket this past week/end ...

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3933.msg3443

My husband thinks it was the best brisket we've made, even better than anything we've done in our wood burner.   We had some of what was left for dinner last night, and it was possibly even better than it was when it came out of the smoker!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:53:00 AM »
Hey Danny, That is good advice from Leah. I must add to make sure you get a brisket over 7#. I would suggest something around 12# and that should fit in your smoker without having to cut it. I would also trim the fat cap to about 1/4 inch. If you are not planning on brining it I would do an injection, smear with mustard and your favorite rub. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge at least 8 hrs. Good luck
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
Is the beef brine the same as the one I use for pork butts?
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

dannyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »
I went and looked. This is a brisket flat from Costco, 7 lbs. Do I need too handle is differently than a full blown brisket

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
Hey Danny, no the beef injection would be different as would be the brine. I use SuperDave's recipe for the beef injection. The recipe is 1 can of beef broth, 1 tbl garlic powder, 1 tea better than bouillon, 1/2 tea worcestershire sauce. As for doing the 7# flat no just use a therm. and look for an internal temp of 190. Good luck. Make sure to use a water pan.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
Thanks Bill
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:45:20 PM by dannyboy »