Author Topic: Just curious has anyone on here purchased a Char Broil - Big Easy ?  (Read 4585 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Well ..........due to a change in Diet ( fried foods / grease ) I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Char Broil Oil less Infrared Turkey Fryer or the Big Easy as it is called which might be a nice addition to the Patio , and have been wondering if anyone on here who owns one can offer me any advise or suggestions , do's or do not's , and or opinions .   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:36:58 PM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:29:29 PM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Just curious has anyone on here purchased a Char Broil - Big Easy ?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:24:29 AM »
Hey Ginger, I do not have one of these but did do some research. It looks like would be good for just about anything. But, am curious can't you do the same in your SI? The only thing I see is that you can get crispy skin on the birds. Good luck with your choice.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
Looks like a very capable unit. I imagine you will get a lot of use out of it. Enjoy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
Hey guys , the bottom line is ..........................i love my smoker but my Family & Friends including myself hate the way it cooks the skin ( chicken / turkey ) and not to mention that the Big Easy leaves a nice crispy cook ( skin ) almost fried and not greasy considering i have quit all greasy food's , carbs & sugar related items in my Diet due to health reason's alone and Doctors orders actually loosing # 40 lbs  but non the less i have not purchased a Big Easy at this point in time just asking Questions , and will still continue to use my number# 2 weekly which will be once again a few slabs of St-Louis Ribs this up coming weekend maybe boneless skinless chicken Breasts wrapped in Bacon mid week . 
[I[I .............

elkins20

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
Hey Ginger, let me know if you have any luck in losing weight. My Doctors keep telling me to lose weight but offer no diet or suggestions. I still do my bowflex weight system 3 times a week. But, not losing any weight at all. Last winter was diagnosed with CLL or Chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Where my body had created mutant white cells that was attacking my red blood cells and killing them off. Was given heavy doses of steroids, blood trans. and other medicines. Lucky did not have to do radiation and chemo yet. Anyway thank God my blood levels are almost back to normal. Will not bore you any longer, but with the steroids put on extra weight. Have a blessed weekend.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
I've owned one for about 5 years.  Works great for poultry!  The skin comes out perfect, and the infrared cooking method keeps the interior moist.  I like to inject poultry before cooking it in the BE.  I've never cooked anything but poultry in mine, so I can't address anything else. 

We're not big skin eaters, at my house, so I really don't use mine much since the SI came to visit. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DonW

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:13:19 PM »
Hello all,

My first post, so please be patient with a newbie. We bought a Big Easy (BE) the first year they came out. They cook chicken and turkey much like a fryer without the fat. The difference is it takes the same amount of time as an oven (~10 min / lb). As others have posted, inject or brine first for a most succulent bird with very crispy skin much like a fried bird. All in all very pleased with the result!

We might try smoking a turkey for a couple of hours and then put it in the BE for a couple of hours. I'll get back with everyone when the new Mod #3 arrives and we get to do our first smoke on it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
Hello all,

My first post, so please be patient with a newbie. We bought a Big Easy (BE) the first year they came out. They cook chicken and turkey much like a fryer without the fat. The difference is it takes the same amount of time as an oven (~10 min / lb). As others have posted, inject or brine first for a most succulent bird with very crispy skin much like a fried bird. All in all very pleased with the result!

We might try smoking a turkey for a couple of hours and then put it in the BE for a couple of hours. I'll get back with everyone when the new Mod #3 arrives and we get to do our first smoke on it.

Welcome Don!  Don't worry - we're nothing but "easy" around here!!  This is Club Lazy Q, for crying out loud! ;)

You're going to have a lot of fun with your #3 - great decision!!  Let us know how we can help.  Good idea about smoking half-way, and then finishing a bird in the BE!  Funny, but I never even thought of that!  But, I always fill my whole birds with chopped celery, onion and carrots, so the the transfer might get a little messy.  This would be great if you don't stuff, like I do.  The BE really does cook poultry well!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »
Hey Don, Welcome from Kansas City, you will really enjoy the #3. As you can do ribs without having to cut the slab into. And will take a 14# brisket with no problem. I see a lot of good smoked meat heading your way. Do not skip the break-in smoke.

Trip

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:42 AM »
BE's are eh.  It crisps the skin, but that can be done a number of ways.  I hate how they call these oil less fryers.  They are not fryers at all, it's false advertising I say, just can't beat a good fried bird.  Stupid docs and their eat healthy nonsense.  ;D

My grandpa got on this fad when they came out and tried to say we didn't need the fryer anymore.  We all laughed at him and fried a bird as well.   Needless to say, the fried bird is the one that disappeared.   I am with Divot, rather a smoked bird to this fake fryer.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:55:47 AM by Trip »

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Trip , first off and not to be rude when you become a Diabetic it more or less changes your whole life and what you consume ( eat ) considering I am able to keep everything under control with Diet and Exercise which helps me at this point in time to avoid taking any shots or pills which is part of the reason why I am seeking info on the big easy which might not happen but non the less I sure do miss a whole lot of different foods that I took for granted in the past like Pasta , Rice dishes , Bake or Fried Potatoes , Tuna Salad , Pizza , Bread , and the list goes on , etc .  Elkins 20 , sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with CLL and from the sound of things everything is starting to get back to normal and hopefully soon ..................Take Care .
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »
Don W , welcome to the forum .
[I[I .............

Trip

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
Trip , first off and not to be rude when you become a Diabetic it more or less changes your whole life and what you consume ( eat ) considering I am able to keep everything under control with Diet and Exercise which helps me at this point in time to avoid taking any shots or pills which is part of the reason why I am seeking info on the big easy which might not happen but non the less I sure do miss a whole lot of different foods that I took for granted in the past like Pasta , Rice dishes , Bake or Fried Potatoes , Tuna Salad , Pizza , Bread , and the list goes on , etc .  Elkins 20 , sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with CLL and from the sound of things everything is starting to get back to normal and hopefully soon ..................Take Care .

Not rude at all, I fully understand being restricted from certain foods due to medical issues which is why I commented about stupid docs and their diet nonsense.  I'm not really allowed fried foods either, but make occassional exceptions and pay for it later.  Damn you Chick-fil-A and your delicious nuggets.  If I go home to Louisiana, Po-Boys always win too.

Good luck on your purchase if you do go through with it.  I only eat a full bird of Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I usually make exception for those two meals right now.  If I ever have to restrict it entirely, I will just go smoked and probably put it on the gasser/oven at very high temp for a bit to get the skin crispy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:40:38 AM by Trip »

elkins20

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
First thank-you Ginger, second I love how the Doctors tell you something but really don't offer you any help. And the neutritionist at the V.A. is a lame brain, (I am so proud of myself for cleaning that up nicely). Her idea of a diet is too eat healthy meals and watch snacks between meal, and not so much carbs. I asked if she had a diet plan that consisted of planed meals and what foods to eat at those meals. She said use the internet that she did not have anything like that. At that point  I walked out on her.