Author Topic: Turkey Cook Time  (Read 6449 times)

LarryLoveVA

Turkey Cook Time
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
I started my turkey (spatchcock) at about 9:30 and at 11 the internal gauge (in the breast) is reading 155 degrees... Is that normal?  Seems kinda' fast to me I had the temp set to 240 degrees

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Turkey Cook Time
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
Depending on the size of the turkey, this may be normal.   When you reach 165IT, I would use another therm to double check the IT of the breast...sometimes the probe placement in the breast can give false readings.   If you don't have another therm to check, then you might want to move the probe to another part of the breast and check the temp.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

LarryLoveVA

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »
Thanks for quick reply ... It is a 9 lb  turkey and I probed several areas of the breast but I like the suggestion of trying a different probe. I'll give that a try

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Let us know how you make out.    I have noticed when I do turkey breasts that the last 10 degrees or so before hitting 165IT tend to take a while.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

LarryLoveVA

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:21:22 PM »
I checked with another probe and it was indeed done.  I let it rest for another hour (covered in foil) and sampled a piece came out pretty good.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
Well done!  Turkey looks great...enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
With that kind of leg draw back, it looks almost over done.  Just looks? Was it dry or moist?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:57 PM »
With that kind of leg draw back, it looks almost over done.  Just looks? Was it dry or moist?

That's why I don't do spatch turkey...may be moist and tender, but that skin shrinkage just puts me off. ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LarryLoveVA

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

I put in the broiler after smoking to crisp the skin but because I did an under the skin rub I think I pulled the skin to far way fro the meat but the meat was very moist.

LarryLoveVA

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »

That's why I don't do spatch turkey...may be moist and tender, but that skin shrinkage just puts me off. ???

I put in the broiler after smoking about 10 min because the skin was rubbery but it looked as expected I'm guessing I let it stay in the broiler too long but the turkey was tender and moist. 

The skin on chickens I've smoked is uneatable even though the meat is good and someone recommended the broiler to crisp the skin. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »
I've thrown in the towel on crispy poultry skin, Larry, and I am now at peace. 8)

Day of Enlightenment

2 Whole Chickens at 325, in a futile attempt to get crispy skin

Done.  Finito.  No longer care, at all, about how the skin comes out!  My focus is solely on the quality of the meat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

LarryLoveVA

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »
I've thrown in the towel on crispy poultry skin, Larry, and I am now at peace. 8)

Day of Enlightenment

2 Whole Chickens at 325, in a futile attempt to get crispy skin

Done.  Finito.  No longer care, at all, about how the skin comes out!  My focus is solely on the quality of the meat!

You've given me peace, thanks for sharing the previous posts I thought it was something I was/wasn't doing... I'm done as well!

BTW: I own a Model 3 but didn't know I could go past 250 I gotta' a lot to learn.  Thanks for sharing

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »

You've given me peace, thanks for sharing the previous posts I thought it was something I was/wasn't doing... I'm done as well!

BTW: I own a Model 3 but didn't know I could go past 250 I gotta' a lot to learn.  Thanks for sharing

Thanks Larry!

You can only go above 250 if your smoker's stock controller is bypassed, and you have an Auber.
Tony from NW Arkansas

pargolfr2003

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 06:30:19 AM »
Ditto Tony's comment on the skin. Crispy skin in the smoker ain't gonna happen. It'll drive you crazy if you let it, so don't let it. Enjoy the moist, smokey meat and declare victory.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

es1025

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
When i smoke turkey breast, its temperature 165 vs. time. I brine my poultry and it takes between 2-3 hours sometimes a bit longer to hit 165. Every bird is different.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?