Author Topic: Suggestions for first Sausage Smoke  (Read 3097 times)

CUTiger80

Suggestions for first Sausage Smoke
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:45 PM »
I love a good onion sausage and so I bought some a while back from the local butcher and put it in the freezer.  I have always cooked this on the grill before, but now that I have a real smoker, I want to try smoking it, but I need some guidance to make sure I don't mess this up.
The sausage is about 1 lb. and about 1" in diameter.  It is all one long piece that is coiled up like a spring.
My questions for you sausage experts are:
1) Should I cut it into links or cook it whole?
2) What temperature should I smoke these and what type of wood?
3) I believe that the IT should reach 165 deg before pulling them out.  Is that correct?
4) Any idea of about how long this will take?
5) Should I apply rub or BBQ sauce or just throw them in and eat them like they are?
Thanks in advance for you guys help with this.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Suggestions for first Sausage Smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
If you keep whole, cook to 160 degrees with smoker at 230 degrees. (whole or sandwich size)  Usually takes me 2 hours.

If you cut it up (inch chunks), mix with peppers and onions while in the smoker (olive oil and rub) foil pan or cast iron.

I use cherry wood, but any will do.

They will be pretty juicy if you don't hole poke them, sometimes a grill sear makes them look better. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

CUTiger80

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
John,
Thanks for the info.  If I were to cut them, I was going to twist them first and then cut them into 3-4" links, leaving the casing intact.
So no rub or anything on the outside?
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
I guess it can't hurt, but with a casing I never really tried it unless cutting into tiny chunks.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA