Author Topic: Snack Stick Gear?  (Read 14552 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Snack Stick Gear?
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:30:06 PM »
Gents,

I've never made snack sticks before but I just got a JAMES Jerky Dryer and I'm itching to make snack sticks. Can someone point me to what I need to make these delicious treats?

I've been looking at the Walton spice mixes and will probably will grab a couple of those mixes.

I'll probably grab a jerky cannon. Is the one they sell at academy good or is the Walton gun better?

I don't have a grinder... Do I really need one or can I get by without?

What size casings should I get?  Are there different types and with are preferred?

I notice that the spice packs are good for 25lbs of meat. Do you generally do all 25lbs at one time?

High temp cheese?  Yes/no?  (Just kidding here... Of course! LOL)
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Snack Stick Gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »
Hey Libo,

I have answered your questions below as best that I know how. Sorry, but it got a little wordy. :)

1. I've been looking at the Walton spice mixes and will probably will grab a couple of those mixes.
Gregg: Waltons is a great place to get your spices and/or equipment. You can also find some decent deals on Amazon and other sites as well.

2. I'll probably grab a jerky cannon. Is the one they sell at academy good or is the Walton gun better?
Gregg: I have a LEM Jerky Cannon and it works pretty well for small batches, say 5-10 or maybe 15 pounds. It is a good starting point and is great for making sticks without casings. If you want to use collagen casings, you'll need to buy the snack stick nozzle that says that it will accept 19mm and 21mm collagen casings. My experience with this nozzle is that the 19mm casings are very tight and hard to stuff as a result. Try to get casings that are small enough to fit onto the tube without stretching them out which really reduces the amount of casing that you can get onto the tube. I would think that 19mm casings would be the smallest you would want o use with a jerky cannon, with 21mm being the preferred. While it can be done solo, I would strongly advise having at least one helper or two if you have two tubes. It is kind of hard to pull the trigger and hold onto the casings to make sure that the casings get stuffed adequately. If you have two tubes, it would be nice to have someone refilling a tube while you are stuffing with the other one.

While I am a huge Walton's Inc fan from a company perspective and I even like most of the Weston products, I am not a big fan of the Weston Jerky Gun that they sell. I do not have any experience with it, so I may be wrong. I just think the LEM Jerky Cannon looks more stout and I know based on experience that it holds up. I have had my LEM gun for over 10 years, although it hasn't seen a ton of use since we bought our sausage stuffer. I don't really like the looks of the trigger mechanism versus the LEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/LEM-468-Products-Jerky-Cannon/dp/B000SQFGRS
https://www.amazon.com/Jerky-Cannon-Long-Snack-Stick/dp/B002L7UVOA

This gun branded by www.jerkyspot.com (appears to be a rebranded LEM as it looks EXACTLY like the LEM) comes with a double barrel (load one while stuffing with the other) for only $8 more than the LEM.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00US645GQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

While the Jerky Cannon is great, for a little more you might just want to consider getting a small sausage stuffer which makes a huge difference in ease of use, consistency of the stuffing, and amount of times you need to refill with meat. Assuming that you go with a LEM or the rebranded gun that I posted or something similar, you are probably looking at spending something in the range of $70-85. Whereas, Walton's Inc has some great deals right now on their stuffers with free shipping over $50. Their single stage 7lb stuffer is $119 and their dual stage 7lb stuffer is $159.99.

$119.00 - https://www.waltonsinc.com/7-lb-sausage-stuffer-single-speed
$159.99 - https://www.waltonsinc.com/7-lb-sausage-stuffer

The sausage stuffer makes the process a lot faster and allows you to stuff your casings more evenly in my opinion. If you are not using casings, the Jerky Cannon is the way to go.

I just bought an 11lb dual stage stuffer and a 17lb mixer and documented in the following thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5678.0

I haven't actually used the stuffer yet other than the unboxing, but it looks like a very high-quality piece of equipment and I am not worried about how it will work. I am planning on making some "Ring Bologna" next weekend and will update the post with my review after using the stuffer.

3. I don't have a grinder... Do I really need one or can I get by without?
Gregg - You can easily get by without a grinder. Of all of the equipment that is optional, this would be the last piece of equipment that I would buy. The advantages are that you can source and grind your own meat and save some money by buying whole cuts. But, for smaller batches, it is just as easy to buy preground or ask your butcher to grind the meat for you. I did just recently contemplate some hand stuffers and found/purchased the following Kitchener grinder from Norther Tool. It was and still is on sale for $99.99 and I had a $20 off coupon for orders over $100 that I used. So, I got this for a pretty affordable price. I compared some hand grinders that were in the $30-$60 range, but their quality and reviews were less than stellar, whereas the Kitchener electric has great reviews.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

4. What size casings should I get?  Are there different types and with are preferred?
Gregg - If you go with the Jerky Cannon, I would get the 21mm casings. 19mm can be used, but it is a very snug fit on the tube which makes them hard to stuff.
If you go with a stuffer, you could go as low as 17mm casings.

95% of the sticks that I make are with 21mm casings.

5. I notice that the spice packs are good for 25lbs of meat. Do you generally do all 25lbs at one time?
Gregg - I have smoked as much as 28lbs at a time as well as smaller 5-12.5 pound batches. I would not recommend trying a 25lb batch unless you have a Smokin-It #3 or larger and not until after you have smoked some smaller batches. Smoking a 25lb batch can be a little problematic because first you will need at least 6 trays (with the addon smoking it side trays) and you will have to rotate top to bottom and front to back several times during the smoke.

You can easily weigh and sub-divide the 25lb mixes from Walton's or any other vendor and reuse later. I would start either split a 25lb batch into 2-3 batches.

6. High temp cheese?  Yes/no?  (Just kidding here... Of course! LOL)
Gregg - The High Temp cheese is really good. But, you will for sure need to use 21mm casings and a 2-stage sausage stuffer would be advised as it does make the meat a little harder to stuff through the small 3/8" snack stick stuffing tube and could possibly damage your trigger assembly on your gun. I have not tried the cheese in my Jerky Cannon, but we have done it a few times in our 15lb single stage LEM stuffer and it is pretty hard on a single stage stuffer gears of that size. The smaller diameter tank on the 7lb single stage stuffer should make it a little easier on the gear, but the 2-stage stuffer would be even better.

Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM me too if you prefer.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
Gregg,

You rock!  Thank you for all of that!

I'm going to start with the Jerky Gun... I may try that 2 barrel one.. I had looked at it last night, actually.  I figure I'll start with the gun and if I'm finding myself making more and more, I'll invest more.  FYI - I do have a Model 3 and plenty of shelves.. plus now have the side rails with more slots. 

I'm going to give some of these links to the Fam so they can have some ideas on what to get me for Christmas!

Now, onto more pressing issues... I'm also dying to make Bacon... as I just got a cold smoke plate also!!!  And I know you are one of the top bacon guys on the forum.  I think from what I've read, I can get a pork belly this weekend and start brining it.  I may need to move this queston.  But do you have a new bacon maker wet or dry brine recipe? 

I'm moving into all sorts of uncharted waters here!

Thanks again!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

ibbones

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Libo, thanks for asking the exact thing I have been thinking about.  And Gregg, what an awesome answer.  I have been thinking about trying to make snack sticks for a while.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing/hearing your results from your first batches.

:)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
Ok... Just ordered Willie's, BBQ Smoke & buffalo blue cheese snack stick mixes from Wilton's. Plus, some high temp blue cheese and cheddar. Plus some 21mm casing.

The Jerky Spot gun has been out of stock for weeks now and Santa didn't bring me one!  I guess I'll grab me a LEM from Academy!  Can't wait to get started!
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 01:05:41 AM »
Just realized that I didn't order Sure gel. Is that necessary?
The Woodlands, Texas

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »

Great Question!  I have a #2, what is the max batch size for that size smoker.    Great info here--thinking I need to stuff some stuff!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 12:40:20 AM »
What do y'all think of this?  Was about to spend $60-70 on a jerky cannon and a snack stick attachment. For $40-50 more, I can get this.  Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQRSJ4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17W5VZEPRAUKL
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:48:14 AM by Libohunden »
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 01:35:50 AM »
Just realized that I didn't order Sure gel. Is that necessary?

The Sure Gel is not "necessary". It helps retain moisture and gives a more consistent mouth feel similar to meat market or store bought sticks.

We made our sticks without it for years and they still turned out pretty darn good. I would go ahead without it and just order some the next time you order supplies.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
What do y'all think of this?  Was about to spend $60-70 on a jerky cannon and a snack stick attachment. For $40-50 more, I can get this.  Thoughts?

I don't see any links or information on what you are looking at. Did you forget to add a link?
Gregg - Fargo, ND

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:44 AM »

Great Question!  I have a #2, what is the max batch size for that size smoker.    Great info here--thinking I need to stuff some stuff!

With the add-on 9-shelf side rail,  5-6 shelves, and 21MM casings, I am guessing you could fit 15-20lbs in at a time. With the stock side rails and four shelves, I would think you max would be 10-15lbs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »
Oops. Sorry about that...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQRSJ4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17W5VZEPRAUKL

I think that would be a definite improvement over the gun. One thing to note though, if you want to make snack sticks, is that you are going to have to pick up a 12-13MM (I prefer 12MM) stuffing tube. Because the smallest tube that this stuffer comes with is .6" which is 15.24MM. In order to use 21MM casings, you need a minimum of a 13MM stuffing tube. Even with the 13MM stuffing tube, the 21MM casings are pretty tough to get on the tube, which is why I prefer the 12MM tube. The casings slide on the tube cleanly without needing to expand the casings.

I looked on Amazon and I could not find either a 12MM or 13MM stuffing tube. So, you are going to have to get one from Waltons or some other meat processing retailer. Walton's has them for $9.99 plus shipping which ends up being $6.99 unless you order other stuff to help alleviate the shipping cost.

I almost went with this one which is a pretty similar knock-off version from the Waltons/Weston/LEM style stuffers:
20lb stuffer $161.45 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LN701SU

I ended up going with the 11lb stuffer from Waltons:
https://www.waltonsinc.com/11-lb-sausage-stuffer
  • It came with the stuffing tubes that I wanted/needed and they were all stainless steel instead of plastic.
  • I ordered enough product with it to get free shipping. They just had a $50 free shipping deal over Christmas, but it looks like that is done now. That being said, the 11lb stuffer is $20 cheaper which is less than the sale price of $199.99 when I bought mine. This is a New Year's deal. So, I am not sure how much longer it will last.
  • I am not sure if I believe it or not, but I checked with Walton's Customer Service and they claim that their gearbox is of higher quality than the cheaper versions on Amazon.
  • In the case of any problems, I am a lot more comfortable with the customer service from Waltons as opposed to the Amazon vendors.
That being said the cheaper price is still very tempting. But, I would be tempted to move up to an 11lb stuffer for a few bucks more. I tried a 5lb stuffer earlier this Fall and didn't like having to refill so much, although either option will be better than refilling a narrow gun tube.

Powder Coated version $134.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H0WAYMO (Note - This stuffer actually comes with a 10MM tube which is actually too small for normal 19-21MM casings. But, would be good for 15-18MM casings which are more like slim jim size. I actually bought a 10MM tube with my stuffer but having tried it yet. I have been told that it will work, but cranking will be a lot harder and a little harder on the gears. So, I'll most likely only do a few slim jim batches per year and continue to use the 19-21MM casings with my 12MM tube for most of my sticks.

Stainless Steel $145.98 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXNSZ50

FYI, the 15lb stuffer that we purchased to use at my parent's house has now been used for about 10 years and shows no signs of needing to be replaced. So, I would say buy the stuffer that you want because if you take care of it, it will last a LONG time. If you only make small batches, the 3L (8LB) stuffer may be all you will ever need.

Lastly, no matter which stuffer you get, I would recommend getting some food grade "White Oil" and/or some food grade silicone spray to lube the gearbox and piston gasket. I got mine at Walton's, but I am guessing it could be found on Amazon as well.

I know I like spending your money. But, just trying to give you some options to think about.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
Found a meat mixer on Craigslist and the owner is offering to sell it to me for $60. It's a Weston 20lb mixer. Do any of you actually use a meat mixer of just do it by hand?  Debating whether I should get it or not?
The Woodlands, Texas