Author Topic: Smithfield Pork Butt now at Sam's Club  (Read 5122 times)

Papa Rick

Smithfield Pork Butt now at Sam's Club
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
I have always gotten the Sam's Club brand bone in Pork Butt, but in Chattanooga looking for some yesterday and they only had Smithfield brand bone in?  I ask the meat guy if they had any in back and he told me they don't do them anymore?  I found the ones they do with Sam's Club name on them, but they were individual like after you cook and cut them and boneless.  Didn't know if anyone else had run into this or not?

I did get two packs of the Smithfield and will try them and see how they turn out.  I have had great results with the Smithfield Baby Back ribs which are already cut St Louis Style.

I also remember the story about Smithfield being bought by a China Company, which is true, but the pork is slaughtered and processed here in the US.  I did a lot of research on this.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:12:00 AM by Papa Rick »
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smithfield Pork Butt now at Sam's Club
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »
Just check the package.  I do believe not all smithfields are USA.  The package will say where it comes from and sometime you have to look hard!   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Papa Rick

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:33 PM »
Thanks John, I did check it and it stated USA on the package.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »
Packaged in USA or Product of USA?

I believe that is the difference regardless of the name brand.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
My local Sam's did a brief switch to Smithfield on their 2-packs of back ribs.  The weight was less than the IBP ribs, and although they were good, they just weren't  as good as the IBP.  They have since switched back to IBP.  IBP is a Tyson company now, but are still better than the Smithfield, imo. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:45:51 AM »
I agree DM. the smithfield ribs i get up here tend to be a little more fatty. what is IBP?  We have a brand called indiana kitchen. those are single packs and easier to see if they are fatty. they tend not to be and are usually the best brand i can find here in NH.

i have not tried  costco or sam's however.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

Donmac

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
I agree DM. the smithfield ribs i get up here tend to be a little more fatty. what is IBP?  We have a brand called indiana kitchen. those are single packs and easier to see if they are fatty. they tend not to be and are usually the best brand i can find here in NH.

Where in NH are you? I live in Derry and I work in Manchester and about 1/4 mi from Sam's club and have membership. If you live close enough to Derry or Manchester I would be willing to help you out by picking stuff but you would have to come to me to pick it up. I go there often at lunch time to buy meats.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
IBP, Inc. , formerly known as Iowa Beef Processors, Inc ., now Tyson Fresh Meats, is an American meat packing company based in Dakota Dunes, South Dakota, USA. IBP was the United States' biggest beef packer and its number two pork processor.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

40 caliber

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 05:25:40 PM »

Where in NH are you? I live in Derry and I work in Manchester and about 1/4 mi from Sam's club and have membership. If you live close enough to Derry or Manchester I would be willing to help you out by picking stuff but you would have to come to me to pick it up. I go there often at lunch time to buy meats.

thanks for the offer Don, I am in Hollis, i have the  Nashua stores for sams and costco in my backyard. i just have not gotten around to going as I have 2 market baskets, a shaws, hannaford, whole food and Aldis all on 101a and in a 10 mile radius. (not bragging just saying)

Market basket has usually  met my needs with Indiana kitchen. i guess i need to swing down there, however. all I hear is good things about great meats at sams
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »
Do not overlook Costco for your meat needs. The savings will pay for your membership with just a few meat purchases. Costco is good for beef. Better than Sam's for brisket imo, with whole Prime Packer briskets for a great price. Costco has boneless butts though, which is not as good for smoking as bone-in butts like Sam's has.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 09:41:36 PM »
Do not overlook Costco for your meat needs.

...Unless you don't have one near you. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »
Do not overlook Costco for your meat needs.

...Unless you don't have one near you. :(

True. We have both up here, so I forget that everyone doesn't have both.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
Probably won't find a Costco near me, anytime soon, Kari...NW Arkansas is the home of WalMart & Sam's!
Tony from NW Arkansas