Author Topic: Mixing up the Brining and then using it for later??  (Read 2223 times)

Papa Rick

Mixing up the Brining and then using it for later??
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:32:35 PM »
Just a thought about mixing up the brine recipe and then not using it on the Turkey Breast and heating it up to spray over the meat after it is cooked?  I am looking to capture the taste of my three turkey breast I did on Turkey day, as I used the drippings from the catch pan in my #2 and it was by far the best turkey breast I have ever put in my mouth.

I am afraid of trying to use it as I did before for safety reasons, but for sure want to capture the taste that it had if at all possible.  I did taste the meat an hour after I cut it up the night before and it did not have the taste, but after adding it to the pan and slowly warming the meat up in a pan with the solution added to the bottom of the pan, something magical happened.

Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Mixing up the Brining and then using it for later??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »
Brine would be adding that high salt solution back to the meat.  The way that I capture the juices are to put the meat in a foil pan and cover for the last hour of cooking.  The pain usually has quite a bit of liquid in it.  Good for what you used it for and making gravy.  I'm a sucker for the smoky gravy. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Papa Rick

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »
Thanks Dave, appreciate it,  Didn't think about the salt content.  I may try it without the Salt and mix it up and try it in the bottom of the pan when I reheat it.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
Thanks Dave, appreciate it,  Didn't think about the salt content.  I may try it without the Salt and mix it up and try it in the bottom of the pan when I reheat it.

You could try placing a narrow bread pan (no wider than the wood box) on the bottom rack, with your meat placed on one of the racks above. (do not put the meat inside the pan). Put just a little water in it to start. That should capture a decent amount of drippings, and still allow plenty of space for heat and smoke circulation. Most liquid is going to drip from the center. You want to avoid using any sort of large rectangular pan that blocks heat and smoke.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide