Author Topic: What should us SV newbs cook first?  (Read 3504 times)

jpowell

• facebook
What should us SV newbs cook first?
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
My anova arrives tomorrow. What do you SV vets suggest for us newbs to attempt first to get our feet wet? Suggested recipes are welcomed too.
And I might as well ask what other gear I should look at getting to aid in this new SV adventure? (i.e. Containers, lids, etc)
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: What should us SV newbs cook first?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:26:01 AM »
I would start with the 3 (or 4) day chuck roast. If you have the patience. That's the first thing I did, and it's still my favorite. There are several posts on that one, including my own. The most useful things for SV would be a 12 quart Cambro square container with lid (also useful for brining), and a vacuum sealer. Although you can SV without them by just using a large stock pot, and the water displacement method using ziplock bags.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »
+1, I do mine for 72 hours at 131. Tastes like prime rib.
Brian from Wichita

icebob

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
For a "quicky" sirloin for 6 to 8 hrs @ 131f is darned good too, salt pepper, a big dab of butter in the pouch... fininsh it up in a piping hot cast iron skillet....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:15:06 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:41:47 PM »
Ended up grabbing this while I was in costco ... I don't know much about meat cuts yet, but have heard sirloin is pretty good.

Did 2 chunks ... 1 for 2hrs at 129F and the other at 3hrs. The 2hr tasted good, but the meat was a little mushy. The 3hr was amazingly tasty!

I'll try the next chunk at 4hrs 129F and see how that compares to 3hrs.  Very happy with the anova!  #lazysteak
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

jmhobbs

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
Not a long cook, but doing some steaks and then quick searing them is a wonderful first SV.  Made me love mine right out of the gate, like butter.
John from Omaha, Nebraska

Smokin-It Model #3

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:49:06 PM »
My first was black cod.  Dang good.

3 day chuck roast came a few down the road.. But was excellent and I've done a few since with the same result.

Sirloin... Great.. Ribeye... OMFG Good!  In fact, Saturday I've got 6 hungry adults coming over for sous vide aged prime ribeye and they have no idea how their life is about to change... LOL. I need to have Anova send me some coupons for them!

No matter what you do, I'm sure it will be great!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
Did 2 more sous vide sirloins yesterday ... 3 and 4.5hrs at 130F ... couldn't really tell much difference ... both stupid yummy :-)

Because I've been posting my experiment and pictures on facebook I've had a bunch of people inquire about sous vide and 2 of them already bought anova's for themselves LoL!
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana