Author Topic: Smokinlicous wood....why so good?  (Read 3581 times)

Danbow

Smokinlicous wood....why so good?
« on: November 28, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »
Why is it so much better? Also, if I buy a large batch and have it over a year it will surely continue to lose moisture content and equalize with the natural humidity level of my surroundings. Would I not be better off buying smaller batches so that they can be fresher? What do you guys think?  Danny
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Smokinlicous wood....why so good?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »
Yes...it is that good. Buy the smallest double filet box you can get. I like the 3 variety pack. For my 3 choices, I like hickory, cherry and maple. If you ask, they will also send you some free samples of one or two more wood varieties. I asked for Red Oak and Ash for samples. Next time I will get more Red Oak, since I really like it on beef. The smallest size will still last you a good long time. You can vacuum seal your excess wood to preserve it's moisture for future use.

http://smokinlicious.com/index.php?refill%20boxes
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Danbow

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Thanks Sconnie. I posted this and then was reading another post about it and got a pretty good idea about their CS and quality control. I have access to pecan, osage orange, mullberry, ash, hackberry and a range of red and white oaks here with a smattering of apple when I can find it. I have open fire cooked and stick smoked with all of them and had great results, but never had to worry much about the mositure content and all that I might need to pay attention to with an electric smoker. I wonder how much of an issue that will be using my local woods. Might be better if I used greener wood too instead of cured. What do you think?   Danny
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:23:42 PM »
If you have all of those wonderful local woods, then I would seriously invest in a moisture meter. There are several on Amazon, but the link below seems to be one that many people have recommended. I don't have one, but if you are using local woods, I would definitely get one. Make sure to remove the bark. More people will chime in on this for sure. As far as the ideal moisture content you are shooting for, I leave it up to the pros on the forum. I just know my wood from smokinlicious comes with the ideal moisture upon delivery, so I try to preserve that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V6I840/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=N7Z26Y88JG2O&coliid=I3N29SWZO7D28Q&psc=1
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:47:34 PM »
Danny,

Smokinlicious is the cleanest, best smoking wood I have used.  The key is the moisture content (20-30%).  Yes, it will lose some of that, over time, but will still be better than any of the "big box" wood you get (moisture content <1%....I've tested it).  This is not kiln-dried wood.

If you have access to great woods, dry it yourself.  Like Kari said, get a cheap moisture meter (mine cost $20).  Curing (not drying) your green wood takes time, but you can monitor it.  Store the cut wood in a cool, dry environment, and stack it so air can flow around all of it.  When your moisture reading gets below 30%, you're good to go!  Because we deal in ounces per smoke, a few pounds will last you quite awhile!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
+1

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
Danny, 95% of my wood is local cut, begged, borrowed or stolen and my smokes do just great.  Even my older wood does just fine with knowledgeable placement in the box.  The smokinlicous wood group has quite a following but if you have good access to local, fresh wood you will be fine.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
Danny, 95% of my wood is local cut, begged, borrowed or stolen and my smokes do just great.  Even my older wood does just fine with knowledgeable placement in the box.  The smokinlicous wood group has quite a following but if you have good access to local, fresh wood you will be fine.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!