Author Topic: Reheating Brisket  (Read 11089 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Reheating Brisket
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:35:49 AM »
I smoked a couple of briskets yesterday.  However, they took longer than expected so I ended up wrapping them and letting them rest before, unfortunately, throwing them in the fridge.  We had plans last night and ran out of time to eat. 

At any rate, my wife invited some neighbors over tonight to have some brisket with us.  So, now I'm deciding on the best way to reheat my brisket so that it is its absolute best. 

I'm thinking about slicing it cold so as not to lose any juices and then vacuum seal the slices and using sous vide to reheat.  Not sure what time/temp though.

I could also leave it triple wrapped in tin foil and reheat in the oven at 200.

Anyone have any opinions (and I know you do  :))?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

drains

Re: Reheating Brisket
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:13:32 PM »
Can't help on the sous vide technique but how about slicing it and slowly raising it to serving temp in a crock pot set on low to medium with something such as apple juice or other liquid for moisture. Or put it back in the smoker at 165 with a pan of liquid for moisture.  Or.......Aw heck throw it in the microwave and zzzzzzzzzzzaaaaappppp the heck out of it (just kidding)! ;)
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »
I definitely would not pre-slice it. It will stay much more juicy if reheated in one hunk. Put it in a 200 degree oven for a couple hours or so, tightly wrapped in two or three layers of foil (in a pan in case it leaks), until it reaches 140-145 internal temp. You won't need to rest long if you are reheating slowly like this.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
Karl, after you refrigerate a brisket all the juice either sucks back into it or coagulates on the bottom.  Cutting it while it's cold does not dry it out like when it's hot.

That being said, I had not tried slicing it cold and then sous viding it warm again.  I have got to say that I sliced one whole brisket and vacuum sealed it in individual packs and warmed up two of them tonight.  They were incredibly juicy just like I had taken them out of the smoker.  I think I'll be doing this to all of mine from now one. 

I have another full brisket in my fridge that I haven't touched yet.  I was planning on giving it to a buddy of mine.  Now he may be half of it sliced and vacuum packed!  LOL
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »
These are the instructions I give to people I have cooked hunks of Goodness for. I copied it from Aaron Franklins website for disclosure. Everyone tells me it works well.

KEEP REFRIGERATED AT OR BELOW 41*F UNTIL READY TO REHEAT.

Reheating Instructions for sous-vide method:
1. Remove package from refrigerator. Do not break seal. If frozen, defrost in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. 

2. Submerse sealed package in a pot of simmering (not boiling) water, for about 1 hour. 

3. Reheat to preferred internal temperature (USDA recommends reheating internal temp of 165º)

Oven method:
1. Unwrap brisket from sealed plastic and place the brisket in a baking dish.

2. Slice several pads of butter onto the top of brisket & cover dish with aluminum foil.

3. Place in pre-heated oven at 250º

4. Reheat to preferred internal temperature (USDA recommends reheating internal temp of 165º)

Reheating time varies between 1 and 2 hours.
Eat or Freeze within 14 days.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:05:49 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:55:22 AM »
After re reading my reply to the Original post, I see I did not respond with the answer to Libohunden's question. my apologies. Now I find myself looking for the an answer to the same question. Being a new And yet unopened Anova owner, any detailed experiences on reheating vacuum packs will be appreciated, Brisket or whatever. Thanks! "I'm thinking about slicing it cold so as not to lose any juices and then vacuum seal the slices and using sous vide to reheat.  Not sure what time/temp though."
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »
Doug,

FYI, I went with 165 for about an hour. Worked great for me!
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
I have to say, I agree with the slice/vac seal/SV reheat idea!  I also think Libo nailed it with the hour @ 165!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
Not everyone here has sous vide, so my response was based on that. If you do not have sous vide, and want to reheat an entire whole brisket, then I think Aaron Franklin's method above is good.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:07:10 PM »
Thanks all, I do a tremendous amount of slice, vacuum pack and reheat. I have always just put in a pan of boiling water a guessed how long to leave it in. I am not concerned with the time as I understand it won't get any hotter than the 165 recommendation. I suppose the same would apply to my supply of cooked vacuum packed Salmon, chicken breast, and talaria as well. This is a good thing. What I am having trouble getting my mind around is those 4 day chuck roasts and other meats and the 4 hour food safety time I've got so implanted. Guess I need to read and read some more. I do want to try those Rib eyes though, and soon! Pix is a example of the reheated Brisket I just posted sliced pix of. Of course it has a good helping of smoked Cheese mixed in.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Danbow

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, what is sous vide?  Danny
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »
Doug, for your sous vide 4-day chuck roast (many people prefer 3 days), the graph below shows that there isn't one temperature for food safety. It is a time/temperature continuum. For beef, 160 degrees kills bacteria instantly. Or bactieria are also killed at 140 degrees after 12 minutes, or 130 degrees after 112 minutes. That's why you often see 130 or 131 as the temperature for long sous vide. You can go indefinitely at that temperature, since all bacteria has been eliminated after 112 minutes. It's kind of complicated, because the USDA tries to keep it simple for the general public giving just one safe temperature for everything. Also refer to the first post of the sous vide section for more general and food safety information.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4661.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:13:14 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

EFGM

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »
Thanks Kari, with that explanation I am starting to get my head around it. I have always been so hard headed on the 4 hour window to hit internal of 140, I couldn't let go. Now I understand those charts as well. I am also now able to possible see myself not being fearful of eating something less than med well to well done with your explanation sinking in.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"