Author Topic: black spots  (Read 3934 times)

blaroche

• brian - trumansburg, ny
black spots
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:56:25 AM »
I'm using the model 2 + james dryer + equilibrium brine for jerky.  I smoke for 1 to 2 hours and then put the dryer on all at 150.  It turns out great, the same every time. 

Only problem is some of the pieces will get black spots.  Unsure if this is mold or what.   It tastes horrible, I've never gotten sick and usually just eat around them.  But I'd like to at least understand what it is, why it happens and how to avoid it.  It happens pretty much every time.

-I usually clean the tray's very well.  This time I took them out of the dish washer at high temp just before smoking, still happened. 
-The night before I turned the smoker up to 250 for 2 hours, to try and kill any bacteria or what not.  Still happened.  Perhaps I should try just just before smoking next time.
-I dump the meat into a strainer before putting in to the trays.  I don't pat dry with paper towels or let them air dry at all.  After 1 hour plus of smoking, little puddles of water will form on top of the meat.  Perhaps this is the problem.  I usually do about 10 pounds of meat per batch, pat drying all that is a pain. 

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: black spots
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
I think you stumbled on the problem.

This is creosote liquid that is dropping down on the meat from the condensation that forms on the roof of the smoker.

You should pat dry your jerky on the trays and place a fan on the racks until the jerky is "tacky" before placing in the smoker. This along with using your jerky dryer after 2-hours should help prevent the creosote liquid drops from forming on the roof of your smoker.

I have heard of this happening when smoking cheese, but this is the first I have heard when smoking Jerky. But, I think most pat dry and either air dry or fan dry to a tacky state prior to smoking. I am pretty optimistic that this will fix the issue for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:59:12 AM »
BTW, patting dry really isn't that hard. I just take off a double layer of paper towel and lay it on the tray and then pat down all across the towel layer until it has soaked up as much as it can. Depending on how wet the meat is after this, you can repeat the step.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

blaroche

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:46:07 AM »
Thanks for the response Gregg.

I had a feeling the excess moisture was the problem.  Didn't think about condensation and creosote, that makes sense.  I'll try patting them on the trays.  Maybe put the dryer on without heat for a bit, before the smoke.

Thanks again

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:48:18 PM »
Hi Blaroche!  I see you're new here!  Glad you're with us!

Gregg nailed it.  You really need to get as much of the excess moisture off the jerky before smoking.  Not only does it reduce the drying time, it also prevents the moisture buildup in the smoker.  Personally, I use 140 for jerky, as long as it's cured.  Since you're using the equilibrium brine, I assume it was probably my recipe?  At any rate, get the excess liquid off of the meat.  Also, do NOT use a water pan, when smoking jerky (in case you are).

Now that you're here, how about heading over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about your smoking background.  Also, a first name and town, in your signature line, is the norm around here.  We're a pretty friendly bunch, and like to know our new friends!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

blaroche

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
ugh, asking me to be social....  very well ;P

i am using your equilibrium brine recipe, it's the single greatest smoking thing i've stumbled upon.  6.25%/156 ppm cure, i'll try knocking the temp down to 140.  i've created a handy little spreadsheet to start experimenting with other recipe combinations, but really only stick with either salt/sugar/cure/water, or the same with soy and worcester added, maybe onion and garlice powder too.   simple and traditional are my favorites.

i'm certainly going to be patty drying from now on.  i only use a water pan for brisket.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 08:27:34 PM »
Glad you like the brine!  Me too... Learning about EQ brining was one of the best culinary secrets I've come across...it's foolproof, and SO repeatable!  Once you dial it in, just like you like it, it comes out the same every time!

As for the water pan, I would highly recommend it for ribs, too (at the least).  Certainly don't need it with poultry or jerky, but it helps with any large cuts of beef or pork, and definitely ribs. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

thrasha

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:17:29 AM »
I know I do not frequent comments on this forum, but I am a lurker fan of the site.  I see a lot of people who have awesome setups, ideas and enthusiasm.  I just want to pass on some information that can be used or perceived however you like.

The subject is about humidity; I see all to often is about trying to extract/eliminate humidity as fast as possible.  I believe on the contrary.  The idea is yes; we want to eventually eliminate the humidity so we can dry/cook our jerky.

When you provide a nice relative humidity in your early stage of cooking, you're providing a moisture barrier on the outside surface from cooling too fast.  This moisture barrier will help to mitigate pathogens/bacteria by making them less likely to become heat resistant from the cooking process.  If  by chance you're experiencing case hardening on your jerky, perhaps adding moisture for 1/4 to 1/2 of your cooking time.  My experience has seen that I can achieve a more even dryness all around because this moisture barrier also allows the center of the meat to equalize better with its surface.

Gregg's very correct though.  That's a natural side effect of moisture in your cabinet/chamber.

Good day  :)

Kenny from California

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Hi Kenny!  That's an interesting, and thoughtful, theory.  Correct me, if I'm wrong, but aren't we doing that by smoking brined jerky for a couple of hours, without a fan?  There is a LOT of moisture in the meat, which is off-gassing into the smoker, during heating.  Then, once the meat has absorbed smoke for 2 hours, we need to begin drying.  I know that when I smoke jerky, my drip pan gets pretty full with the brine coming out of the meat, so I'm not sure why you would add more moisture; can you explain?   Btw...I love these kinds of discussions! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

thrasha

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
Hi Tony

You are correct.  The brine and lack of fan will have what seems to be adequate humidity.  The level of humidity I am referring to is about 90% relative humidity for one to two hours.  I do not think you'd be able to achieve that with the meats natural moisture along with brine, I could be wrong.  To see if you're near those numbers, would mean to have an ambient and wet bulb thermometer temperature monitoring.

Again, I am only speaking of humidity in a food safe potential of bacteria destruction.  This could take your perfect jerky and change its profile different; I am not trying to change your ways and only speaking of how humidity can aid bacteria reduction.  I know you have many educated and vigilant readers who are adamant about low ph brine and curing.  Those two food safe preventative measures alone should be over what I am talking about of humidity.

Cheers :)
Kenny from California