Author Topic: Vac Master Pro 350 Question?  (Read 8904 times)

Gene

Re: Vac Master Pro 350 Question?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 07:56:45 AM »
This might help http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwaving-food-in-plastic-dangerous-or-not

Basically it seems that if you avoid BPH and stick with FDA approved bags you will be fine.  I know they vac master bags are BPH free and FDA approved for food.  It looks like there is a slight risk for certain plastics (not sure about these bags) to leak when heating food in them but I only use the bags to freeze not cook in them.

Thanks Chris.  I gave it a read and agree with you.
Model 1
Central Illinois

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
Got my Pro 350 today, and man, is this one serious unit!  Tried it out a bit, and am seriously impressed.  I'll post a more thorough review in coming days...  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
This might help http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/microwaving-food-in-plastic-dangerous-or-not

Basically it seems that if you avoid BPH and stick with FDA approved bags you will be fine.  I know they vac master bags are BPH free and FDA approved for food.  It looks like there is a slight risk for certain plastics (not sure about these bags) to leak when heating food in them but I only use the bags to freeze not cook in them.

I reheat food in my Food Saver brand vacuum sealed bags all the time by simmering (not boil) them in a large pot of water, and I have never had a problem with them leaking or breaking. You just need to make sure that you do not get the water too hot. I love this way of reheating especially pulled pork because it reheats the melted fat and does not introduce any water or other flavorings that could potentially water down the results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
I'm really impressed with the bags that I got from VacuumSealersUnlimited!  Not only are they 50' rolls, they are heavier and cheaper than the FoodSaver bags I used to get! 

As long as you are getting reputable vac sealer bags, I really don't think you have to worry about food safety issues.  Just remember, they are not "boiling" bags!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

dibiase

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »

I reheat food in my Food Saver brand vacuum sealed bags all the time by simmering (not boil) them in a large pot of water, and I have never had a problem with them leaking or breaking. You just need to make sure that you do not get the water too hot. I love this way of reheating especially pulled pork because it reheats the melted fat and does not introduce any water or other flavorings that could potentially water down the results.

I have done this as well and it works great.  By doing it in water the bag will never really get much over 200 degrees so I think it's perfectly safe.  If you popped a bag in the microwave it could get hot enough to be an issue. 
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »
I'm really impressed with the bags that I got from VacuumSealersUnlimited!  Not only are they 50' rolls, they are heavier and cheaper than the FoodSaver bags I used to get! 

As long as you are getting reputable vac sealer bags, I really don't think you have to worry about food safety issues.  Just remember, they are not "boiling" bags!

I am pretty sure that the bags sold by VacuumSealers Unlimited are VacMaster bags. I have purchased both Suction bags as well as a couple of 1000 bag boxes of Chamber sealing bags and the bags are all very high quality. I actually think that they are better than the Food Saver branded bags.

The shipping does kind of hurt when you order, but the prices are so low that I have not been able to find other options with free shipping where the net cost is less.

So many people now days use vacuum sealers. So when ordering, check with your friends and family to see if they would be willing to split some bags with you. If you can buy one of the larger bulk amounts, you can really get some really good deals. I basically calculate out the cost per bag with shipping included when splitting with others and it is super easy.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »
Gregg, I ordered an extra 11" roll, and it's identical to the one that came with the 350, so I'm sure you're right they're VacMaster bags.  Good stuff!  I really like that 5mm seal bar, too!  Solid!
Tony from NW Arkansas