Author Topic: Friday Ribs  (Read 1874 times)

es1025

Friday Ribs
« on: April 06, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
Two racks of baby backs on the smoker.  235 with 1.5 oz of applewood, and a water pan.

I am using big bald bbq rub.  Going to check at the 4.5 hour mark. If I see the bones, we are done.  Wrap for an hour, then serve.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

es1025

Re: Friday Ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
The verdict is in, the procedure worked perfectly and the family loves the rub. 4.5 hours, wrapped for actually two hours.  Moist and juicy ribs.  If I applied the same approach to St. Louis's do you think 5-5.5 hours would do then trick?  No peeky of course....
Ed from Northern NJ

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
The verdict is in, the procedure worked perfectly and the family loves the rub. 4.5 hours, wrapped for actually two hours.  Moist and juicy ribs.  If I applied the same approach to St. Louis's do you think 5-5.5 hours would do then trick?  No peeky of course....

That should work. St Louis usually take me more in the 6-7 hour range, but I smoke all of my ribs at 225. Just make sure they are tender when you pull them. Toothpick test between the bones, or if the bones pull apart easily. Underdone St Louis ribs can be pretty unpleasant. 1.5 ounces of apple is pretty light on the smoke. I like my pork products pretty smoky, so I go with more in the 4-5 ounce range for ribs. Everyone likes a different amount of smoke though, and I'm thinking your family prefers a light smoke.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

es1025

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:58 AM »
Yes, the family likes light smoke, I go as well. I guess since my smoker is well seasoned, a little wood goes along way.
Ed from Northern NJ