Author Topic: Dry aged ribeye vs strip  (Read 3818 times)

aswails

Dry aged ribeye vs strip
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »
Just curious if anyone has an opinion if one cut of meat dry ages better than the other.  Did a 35 day rib eye and the steaks were great.  Going to start another one this week and both cuts are on sale at my Costco.  Anyone have an overwhelming preference on the dry aging process working better for a particular cut?    Appreciate it.
Adrian
Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Dry aged ribeye vs strip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:30 PM »
My local Sam's carries strip steaks in the large primal cut, as well as ribeyes.  Personally, I only do the ribeyes because of the thickness of the meat.  When you factor in shrinkage, the strips just seem like they would lose too much.  Probably just me, though... :-\
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:45 PM »
Either would benefit from dry-aging. I think whichever you prefer in general, will be the one you prefer after dry-aging. I am a big fan of ribeye. Never understood the recent popularity of the strip steak. I don't think it is as good as a ribeye. I think restaurants have aggressively tried to market the strip steak as equal or better than ribeye, but I'm not buying it. Probably a higher profit margin for restaurants. Shrinkage and trim loss after aging should also be factored in.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:54:25 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
+3 on the Ribeye. I haven't gotten into dry aging yet, but as far as favorite cuts of meat go strip steaks are not in my top three.

1. Ribeye
2. Porterhouse (although I don't see these in uncut form)
3. T-Bone (although I don't see these in uncut form)
4. Strip steak

I know the strip is just part of the T-Bone, but if I am going to eat a strip, I am going to want the filet too. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.