Author Topic: Apricot wood for smoking?  (Read 2351 times)

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
Apricot wood for smoking?
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:23:53 AM »
I have never used apricot wood for smoking.  A neighbor cut down an apricot tree that had been severely damaged by wind.  I picked up a couple hundred pounds of the wood.  In my research I have discovered that many compare apricot to hickory, but not quite as strong.  Some say they use it on poultry and pork which is usually what I do with hickory.  Anyone have any experience with apricot?  I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions or experiences with Apricot wood.
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Apricot wood for smoking?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »
I used to have an apricot tree and would use the limbs that I pruned in the smoker.  Since I typically use wood blends, my use was with other wood to make a more complete flavor profile like apricot, hickory and pecan.  I don't think you will be disappointed using it in a blended way.  It is milder so if you used it straight you might think that the smoke flavor wasn't strong enough. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
Re: Apricot wood for smoking?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »
I used to have an apricot tree and would use the limbs that I pruned in the smoker.  Since I typically use wood blends, my use was with other wood to make a more complete flavor profile like apricot, hickory and pecan.  I don't think you will be disappointed using it in a blended way.  It is milder so if you used it straight you might think that the smoke flavor wasn't strong enough.

Think I will try half apricot and half hickory with my next rib smoke.
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!