Author Topic: Pan Dripping  (Read 2064 times)

johnnytex

Pan Dripping
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
Does anyone know is it OK to use the pan dripping from smoking a turkey to make gravy?

Thanks.
Tex From Ennis, TX

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Pan Dripping
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
With my model 4, I'm able to use an internal drip pan and do use my drippings for gravy.  If the drippings from the external drip pan are brought to a slow roll boil, I don't see why they couldn't be used. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
Probably depends on a few things...  do you clean your rack and drip pan before?  Do you reline the firebox and bottom of smoker before?  Otherwise, I'm with SuperDave in not seeing why you couldn't.  That said, I just did a 14 lb turkey this morning and there weren't enough drippings in the pan to even cover the bottom so you might not get much to work with.

Does anyone know is it OK to use the pan dripping from smoking a turkey to make gravy?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
Do the drippings take on a smokey flavor?  I did a turkey back in the 1970's on a weber kettle, indirect method and used wood chips and the 'gravy' was too smokey to use.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Sarge, I mix my drippings incrementally with turkey stock that I make with the giblets and veggies. You can get whatever level of smoke suits you.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah