Author Topic: Are Turkey's cooking faster from all the injections?  (Read 1325 times)

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
Are Turkey's cooking faster from all the injections?
« on: December 29, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
Wondering what is up.....

I smoked several Turkey's this year. (all around 12-13 pounds).....and each one, seemed to have hit 165 in breast, (and yes, probe was inserted correctly)...in less than 2 hours.  Temp was set at 225 in a number 2 and 234 in a number 3 (with Auber)....  The one I smoked yesterday was a butterball, (up to 10% solution added)   I'm wondering if the excess of the solution that is added heats up faster than the meat, thus giving a false reading?    (The ones I smoked in the number 2, I used thermoworks smoke thermo)..

Yesterday, it seems to hit one 165 so quickly, so I opened up the door to let some of the heat out of the smoker.  I noticed the IT temp of the turkey quickly dropped to 160...(which I thought strange)....I replaced the probe into the other side of the turkey, where it read 160...and it took another half hour or so to hit 165.  (the ambient temp was around 18 degrees..could that have cause the IT temp to drop so fast???).

The meat was cooked, but seemed almost "soggy" from all the moistness... 
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)