Author Topic: Me VS Wife in ribs..Im in trouble  (Read 3260 times)

Kutch98

Me VS Wife in ribs..Im in trouble
« on: February 26, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
So, my wife saw this thing called an Instant Pot, https://instantpot.com/ , and has continued mentioning it over the last month or so with excitement.  We got our tax returns and I figured I would get her one since it sounded interesting enough to me as well. 

Quick synopsis on the IP for those in the unknown: Electric pressure cooker. Meals ready from frozen to done in 30ish minutes.

Well...her 2nd meal she decided to do ribs since it takes only about 30 minutes.  This is where I'm in trouble...they were good and they were fall off the bone tender (Im talking CLEAN bones), now shes running around the house with her self proclaimed title of "Champion of Ribs" while I'm trying to downplay how good they were.  I feel like I've made some pretty good baby backs.  But they have NEVER been fall off the bone good.  So...what can I do with the smoker to make them that tender and fall off the bone??

Here is my typical method:
Membrane off
marinade in apple juice for 6ish hours
Binder on (have used Mustard, Molasses, caro syrup, honey and dry rubs)
rub
24 hours later put them in the smoker.
225, peak at 4.5 hours and continue until they pass the toothpick test.

Any help is appreciated and when I reclaim my title Ill be sure to thank all who helped.
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

Lonzinomaker

Re: Me VS Wife in ribs..Im in trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »
I've done baby back ribs in my Instant Pot and they were very good.  But the ribs done in my SI#3 have a great smoke flavor and depth of flavor not present in the Instant Pot.
The IP were also "wet" instead of moist like the the SI ribs. Both were good, but my family liked the SI ribs better too.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
Jake - it’s cool to see another NM resident on the board!

As for ribs, did they have the Smokey goodness flavor! Hahaha. I bet they were good. I got my wife an IP for Christmas and she likes it as well. I even mad Pho with it on New Years Day.

Anyways, about your ribs - you could wrap them half way through the smoke to allow them to cook in a similar fashion as the IP. Kind of like the 3-2-1 method.

But fall off the bone arent as good as pull off the bone ribs, at least in my $.01 opinion!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:07:03 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 09:09:38 PM »
I forgot to say that the IP cooking the ribs in 90 min vs the 5 hours is a benefit when camping which is where I do a lot of my IP cooking.
BTW- the IP does a fantastic job of making Ham and bean soup with dry beans, no soaking required.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:24:11 PM »
How about considering a collaboration? Smoke the ribs for 2 to 2.5 hours and finish in the IP.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Kutch98

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 01:13:08 AM »
The ribs honestly tasted like something from TGIFridays. Wet, not moist as was mentioned.  And then she slathers them in BBQ sauce and puts them in the oven on broil for a bit.  Prob why she likes them so much, she used to work at a Fridays. 

I might try what SuperDave suggested, split the cooking time. 

Also, thanks for the OTHER ideas for IP foods.  Haha.  I can’t let her know I like it this much, I’ll never hear the end! Hahaha
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
Jake, lots of people think something baked in the oven, slathered in BBQ sauce, equals BBQ!  Sorry, but I've never had anything cooking in an electric pressure cooker (I use one, too) that holds a candle to ribs I do in my SI!

If you want fall off the bone, increase your time another 20-30 min past where you think they are "done" now.  Good size back ribs, from Sam's, take me 5:15 - 5:45, typically, and are always fall off the bone.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
My mom is also NUTSO about her Instant Pot. It actually does a lot of things well. Especially with cheap cuts of meat that need low and slow. Yes, if you like copious amounts of BBQ sauce, and are happy with the liquid smoke flavor you find in commercially available BBQ sauce, then you might be very happy with ribs and butt in the Instant Pot. I personally am not into gobs of sauce, and prefer a dry rub rib, with some sauce as a condiment, not a waterfall. If you like fall off the bone, then just wrap your baby backs in foil after smoking for a few hours, and smoke for about 6 hours total (about an hour or so longer than usual). They will have real smoke flavor. You can't compete with the time, but I'll bet after a few Instant Pot rib dinners, you'll be back to traditional low and slow. It's just not the same. Like crock pot ribs or oven ribs. Pretty good, but not great.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DixonM

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »
When I do the baby back ribs I prep them and do a method like the 321 deal but if my memory is correct I do 2 hrs at 225 then floil for an hour but in the foil I add more of the rub dust along with honey and butter. Then I unwrap them and toss on the grill for about 10 min and serve. Meat comes off the bone clean.

JustChillin

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
I concur with Kari. I have had some tasty ribs cooked in both the crockpot and oven but I prefer mine from my SI. I will occasionally add a thin layer of sauce to caramelize the ribs but 90% of the time I serve sauce on the side. It's hard to beat the moist smoky ribs that come out of an SI. Good luck in your competition!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Kutch98

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:18 AM »
Thanks all for the advice!  Also, sorry it took so long to reply.  Not sure when we are going to have our rib off, she made some more the other night on ribs she bought from the commissary and we both ended up sick. Shes not really in the mood for them for awhile.  haha. 
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »
Let us know when you get your taste for ribs back, Jake!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!