Author Topic: Wild hog ham sections  (Read 1528 times)

Danbow

Wild hog ham sections
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
Went on a thermal hog hunt last week and brought back the quartered sections from a nice one about 80lbs. It was quartered in the field so all I got from it was 2 ham sections, 2 picnics from the fronts and the loins/backstraps. I know what I want to do with the loin but its the other sections I'm unsure about. It looks like the hams have some really good meat on them and was wondering what some of you have done with them. I'm not really interested in doing sausage with it ...yet. Wanted to try something else first. Any suggestions?
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Wild hog ham sections
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
Why not brine them and turn them into hams?  Or, you could simply rub them and smoke them like a pork butt.  Picnics are best sliced, imo.  Smoke to 175 and slice it for sandwiches.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Danbow

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
Thanks Tony. I think I'm gonna Brine em and turn em into hams.
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
I think making hams is an awesome idea especially for picnics which as Tony said are the best for slicing.

Let us know how this goes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
Can't wait to hear how they turn out, Danny!  The picnic cuts should be outstanding as hams!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!