Author Topic: Blinking Green Light  (Read 2336 times)

Cook_in_Colorado

Blinking Green Light
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
I tried to search this, but came up empty.

I have a 3D - 2nd gen, for about a week now. 

I've smoked chicken thighs, baby back ribs and salmon/sea bass.  Each smoke, I set the box temp and IT temp (expect for ribs) and both times, I think the IT temp was reached, I wasn't there for the moment, and the smoker slowly reduced both temps. 

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Deb
Deb near Denver, CO
SI 3D

Analytical chemist turned SAHM
Aspiring home chef

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Blinking Green Light
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »
Deb, are you setting a second program, P2?  Once the meat IT parameter is met, the controller will turn off unless you have set other warming programs to follow.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Cook_in_Colorado

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
Deb, are you setting a second program, P2?  Once the meat IT parameter is met, the controller will turn off unless you have set other warming programs to follow.

Hi -

I'm not sure if I'm setting a P2 program. 

I turned the smoker on, hit set and C-1 = box temp (using the + button I set it to me desired box temp).  Then I hit set again to input the IT/meat probe desired temp (using the + button).  Then I cycle through until I see the current box temp on the left screen and the current IT temp on the right screen.

The smoker then periodically heats and the OUT button will periodically be green. 

Both times that I noticed the both window temps slowly dropping, the OUT button was consistently blinking green, like it was telling me to remove my contents   :D   
Deb near Denver, CO
SI 3D

Aspiring home chef

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
The blinking green light means that the heating element is pulsing to maintain box temperature.  This would tell me that your meat did NOT reach the programmed IT yet.  The blinking light usually starts when the box temp is about 30 - 40 degrees from reaching the set temp so that the element isn't on full right up to the set temp, which would cause a temp over run in the box. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
If you think the smoker should be on, and the light does not blink green, start worrying.  The only purpose of having the green light on there, at all, is so you know the controller is functioning properly and pulsing the power to tightly control the temperature (that's how it does it).  So, no worries!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Cook_in_Colorado

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
OK - thanks for the info!

Prior to the consistently blinking green light, I know that the box temp had reached the desired box temp, but the pulsing makes sense as the IT temp is close.  I bought the Smoke Temp probe from Thermoworks and will add that to the next smoke :)
Deb near Denver, CO
SI 3D

Aspiring home chef