Author Topic: Problems building heat  (Read 1837 times)

va_rider

Problems building heat
« on: December 23, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »
Lately, I feel like my #2 is having issues getting to temperature. Take for instance, right now. It's been on since 4am with a 20lb brisket in it. The auber is set to 225. It's at 211° some 3 hours later.

Should I be looking towards replacing the element?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Problems building heat
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
Should I be looking towards replacing the element?

I'm hoping some others with more direct experience will chime in.  My generic experience with elements is that they either work or they don't.  Since you are getting heat I wouldn't expect it to be the element.

Based on what I've read here, I'd be checking to see if the box probe is dirty, touching the wall/surroundings, and/or if the brisket is touching the box probe.  It seems much more likely you're getting an inaccurate reading.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Problems building heat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »
Have you tried increasing the temp to see if it will climb above 211?  A loose connection at the element could also prevent the element from getting enough juice to fully power up.  Clean and tighten both ends of all your probes.  Lastly is your Auber part of a D model or a standalone?  If you left your Auber out all night and tried turning it on at 4 a.m., I've experienced great difficulty starting smokes with a freezing cold Auber.  I now leave it in the house until I'm ready to start my smoke.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah